Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

V6 Box Connection (via SCART)

URGENT

Hi all - I am currently in the midst of trying to self-install the virgin TV V6 Box and when ordering it over the phone on Tuesday of this week (it is now Thursday), was not told by the operator that it only served TVs with HDMI outputs.

My TV (an admittedly very old Panasonic Viera 'plasma' TV) only has a SCART connection. The staff on the phone have not been very helpful with this - is there a way I can fix this?

I presume that the method of resolving this would be - ordering something similar to the HDMI to SCART converter linked below. I would then use the HDMI provided to me by Virgin and plug that into the back of the V6 box with the converter into the other end of the HDMI cable. The converter will then plug my SCART cable into the other end of the converter - but the key question is... will picture and sound quality be the same? (noting of course my TV is not HD but rather just SD?)

Suggested converter: https://www.amazon.co.uk/XCSOURCE-Converter-Convert-Adapter-AH149/dp/B01ER2Z1A0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electro...

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thank you

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box Connection (via SCART)

Yes that would work

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Alessandro.

I am also on the phone to Virgin Media at the moment and they are telling me that the below cable (using the SCART 'out' function on the box) should work fine. The forum threads that I have read are telling me that the SCART 'out' port is not actually enabled - has this been changed now so that it is enabled? (they are telling me this is the case on the phone but not sure what to believe).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plated-SCART-S-Video-Player-Freeview-Gold/dp/B003NF2444/ref=sr_1_8?adgrpid=...

Thank you for your help - I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Scart out is completely disabled on the v6 it wont work, you need the hdmi converter to make it work on your existing TV 

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My experience of using various HDMI to SCART converters is poor. You are better off geting an HD 1080p TV with an HDMI input. Only the other day I saw 40" Toshibas on sale at my local Tesco store for about £260.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi I'm so sorry to say that things via scart are out of date so don't support up to date equipment. Regards Micky 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi all

thank you for all your responses.

i have ordered a HDMI to SCART converter that is scheduled to arrive today - once I’ve given that a go I’ll let you know if that works on this thread. 

fingers crossed!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I would urge anyone with a non HDMI TV to replace it especially if they are with Virgin.

A lot of channels are now going to HD only operation. These channels are not happy downscaling to analogue SD & apart from looking like a poor quality VHS tape playback also can have issues with aspect ratios going incorrect.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You are right - as an update, the SCART to HDMI converter did work, however the picture quality is not the best (it is more than fine for now but definitely worth looking into a HDMI TV)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The quality is poor, of course, because you are converting a superb digital signal to a low quality, analogue signal.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos