Menu
M00nwalker
Tuning in
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

V6 603 Errors and possibly HDCP

Hi All - I suspect others have already posted something similar but after much frustration decided to post.

Since around June/July this year I started to get Error 603 errors when trying to watch On Demand content. Typically, this error is displayed when attempting to watch a box set, one of the on demand services such as My5 (although interestingly BBC iplayer seems to work Ok) and also when trying to watch a film on demand. Also occurs when trying to use Netflix, but I tend to use the Netflix app with my smart TV, as that if far more stable and responsive.

I contacted Virgin Customer Services, who advised to reboot the V6. It is correct that a hard reboot does clear the problem in around 90% of cases, enabling me to then watch On Demand content, but the error will return again - possibly in an hour, or perhaps in 5 hours, or perhaps the next morning - no consistency over length of time it works before the error re-displays.

I was sent a replacement V6 box and for a while that appeared to have resolved the issue. However, after around 3/4 weeks I noticed that the problem had returned.

Been rebooting around twice daily but bit the bullet and contacted customer services again. Had an engineer attend yesterday. The advice given was to change the Video output settings on the V6 to the 3 1080p options ONLY. Saved the settings and rebooted the v6 box.

Whilst the above is a 'workaround', it is NOT a fix. I have a new 2019 4K TV and also a 2019 Dolby Atmos Soundbar. Both TV and Soundbar support HDCP 2.2.

TV: Sony KD-43XG8305 

Soundbar: HTXF9000 

A bit of background on how things are connected: When first setting up TV I experienced some lip syncing issues. As the soundbar only has 2 HDMI ports - one for the ARC connection from TV and the other for devices, I connected a HDMI switch from the soundbar and then connected all my devices - v6, ps4, apple tv, etc to the hdmi switch.

In order to rule out the HDMI switch being the cause, I have removed it and connected the v6 directly into the soundbar. Soundbar then connected to TV by ARC and all my devices connected to the TV HDMI ports.

So far, it looks like downgrade to 1080 has worked in that I have not had any further 603 errors. After removing the HDMI switch I did temporarily change the v6 Video output back to 2160p and it worked for longer than usual, but sadly got the error again today after 12 hours (which is a long time to have gone without the error recently). So gone back to 1080 to see if that definitely does not error.

Really hoping Virgin don't look on just using 1080p as "the fix" and blaming my kit. As mentioned,  TV and soundbar are both HDCP 2.2 compliant and worked absolutely fine until around July time, when I hear a Virgin update was rolled out and others impacted in a similar way to me .

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
itreallydoes
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

V6 box needs rebooting daily whenever I want to watch On Demand - Error 603

Every day for at least a month if I want to watch anything On Demand (Sky Cinema, Catch-up programs...) it get a message "This Show is temporarily unavailable...." with the associated error number of 603. 

603 suggests rebooting the V6 and trying again.

Rebooting does work. But only for that day. By the next day I am getting the same message for anything On Demand and I have to reboot the box again. 

There's been no equipment / cabling changes. Same TV etc that I've had for a year or so.

I've tried plugging into a different HDMI port in my TV, I've tried leaving the V6 turned off for several hours... It's not making any difference.

Nothing else seems to be causing an issue. I can watch whatever live (and recorded) content fine. Just On Demand.

I've tried calling Virgin but it just takes me through automated messages and does a V6 box connection test - which doesn't come back with any errors - before finally suggesting I reboot and try it again.

What can I do to rectify this? 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box needs rebooting daily whenever I want to watch On Demand - Error 603

As per error code step 2 , are you viewing on a 4K UHD TV? If so, what's the make & model?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
itreallydoes
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I am on a relatively new TV (1yr old). An LG OLED65B8SLC. V6 is connected via a soundbar then into the ARC HDMI port on the TV. Been this way for about a year.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

The issue is (almost certainly) that since a recent V6 software update, HDCP2.2 support is required on all components when you're watching VOD (and using certain apps) in 4K 2160p

Your TV doesn't appear to have an issue here, so I suspect some other component does. If you take the soundbar out of the jigsaw and connect your V6 directly to the TV, does this enable VOD to work?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
itreallydoes
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Right, I've just tried connecting the V6 directly to the TV, bypassing the soundbar but I still get the same thing. Picking a random film from Sky Movies On Demand I get the "Temporarily Unavailable" message. 

Turning off the V6 at the back and then back on and it works fine, but then that is the same as when it was via the soundbar too - a hard reboot will get VOD working again, but the next day it will fail again. 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 603 Errors and possibly HDCP

Hi M00nwalker,

Are you actually using HDCP 2.2 HDMI cables?

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I've come across another thread recently where reboots resolve Error 603 on apparently compatible kit for a short while... here 

I wonder if @BenMcr has any thoughts on this scenario, other than newapollo's good point about the HDMI cables.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Cross-referencing another similar thread 

M00nwalker
Tuning in
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi - Re cables - I am using High Speed with Ethernet HDMI cables. One came with the HDCP 2.2 compliant soundbar and the cable connecting ARC to Soundbar and Soundbar to v6  are brand new, supplied by the virgin engineer yesterday. All my cables are high speed with ethernet HDMI leads.

0 Kudos