Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

V6 5.1 Sound to Sonos

Hi, I’ve just had Virgin installed. The V6 box is connected to my Samsung TV via HDMI and my Sonos Playbar to my TV via optical. The Playbar is not receiving 5.1 sound from the Virgin V6 box regardless of which setting I put it on - only stereo. I have spoken to Virgin about this or at least tried!  Very frustrating indeed. They are indicating it’s a Sonos issue but I’m sure it isn’t because the same setup has worked flawlessly for Sky, BT and my PS3. I really need this resolving otherwise I’ll be forced to cancel my contract whilst still in the cooling off period which will be a shame because I’m happy apart from this sound issue. 

Thanks
Matt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 5.1 Sound to Sonos

Hi I have my 5.1 sound system (not sonos) plugged exactly that way set on Dolby digital it works perfectly, is it possible the lead or one of the ports are faulty. Regards Micky 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many TVs convert 5.1 audio received via HDMI to stereo. You should connect the Sonos to the V6 instead.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, no, if I unplug the HDMI and plug the same lead into my PS3 it works perfectly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

But the TV doesn’t change never any of the other media devices to stereo, just the V6 so clearly an issue with the Virgin V6. Plugging the V6 directly into the Sonos sound bar would be a very poor solution as I want everything from the TV to come out through the sound bar. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If the V6 sends stereo to the Sonos make sure that Dolby Digital 5.1 is enabled.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos