Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

V6 - 4K Streaming Sevices

My V6 is viewed on a Samsung 4K smart TV via a quality fibre optic HDMI cable. When watching 4K Netflix or Amazon Prime via the V6, I notice that my TV remains at the BT 1886 gamma setting as opposed to the expected 4K gamma setting of ST 2084. If I use the Samsung's own Netflix or Prime apps, both replay 4K programmes as ST 2084.  Why is this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 - 4K Streaming Sevices

Hello Betanski

Sorry to hear of the Netflix and Amazon Prime resolution issues, we appreciate you bringing this to our attention on the forums.

Can you check the settings for the V6 please? If you go to Settings - Video Output and then ensure the V6 is set to the required setting.

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rob, thanks so much for your reply.  I can confirm that my V6 box video output settings are correctly set up for 4K.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, we have looked into this and found this on Samsung's community forum: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/gamma-issue-with-Samsung-MU6400/td-p/313815 I would recommend checking this out and seeing if it helps. Please let us know how it goes.

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, & thanks for your reply.  I have now looked at the item on the Samsung site & upon reading it, I'm even more suspicious that the V6 box is not delivering full blown 4k. As long as my interpretation of the info on the Samsung site is correct, it is confirming that if my TV was being sent a true 4K signal, the TV would auto switch to the gamma setting of ST 2084.  This is the main thrust of my enquiry, it seems V6 is not outputting the appropriate signal to switch the TV to ST 2084, hence my question "why is this?".  Clearly, the TV is not at fault, nor are the settings on the V6.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Betanski, 

From what I can gather, it looks as though BT 1886 is for SDR content, and if there is HDR available, it will switch to ST 2084. Not all 4K content on Netflix and Amazon Prime is delivered with HDR of course and your television may be able to decipher different types of HDR. Depending on your TV you'll have options for Dolby Vision, HDR 10 etc.

I would recommend checking your Samsung TV settings (especially on that specific HDMI slot) to make sure it's set up to properly receive the HDR signal. Have you tried other HDMI slots?

I am only familiar with LG TVs and they have a setting for Deep Colour that must be turned on before HDR will work. Perhaps the Samsung model you have has the same issue? I'd be able to do a little more research if I had your exact TV model number.

Also, I know it sounds cliche, but if you reset everything, including the leads, this can sometimes help if there is some sort of data handshake issue that the television is not recognising when it should be. 

Let me know how you get on and we'll do what we can with the information you provide.

Thank you,

Melissa 

0 Kudos