Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

V401 Error

I have 3 V6 boxes and a TIVO. I keep getting the above when trying to watch content between the V6 boxes. Re-booting the boxes seems to help short term but it comes back within 24 hours. My wifi throughout the house is good (Amazon Eero boxes) and signal strength shows Excellent and speed is in the several hundred meg range. I'm connecting on 5Ghz as it has been sugeested this is the best option. Anyone with any ideas? Never had any problems with Sky Q and all other wifi devices work fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: V401 Error

Hi smartn,

error-codes/v401  relates to checking your cables, especially the white coaxial.

Ethernet connections are the best. Have you tried connecting your Virgin boxes via etherent using the ports on the Eero boxes?

Have you tried splitting the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz signals? 2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

If you want to continue with a wireless connection you could download an app such as inssider or wifi analyzer.

They tell you the strength of the channel you are connected on, and also shows other channels so you can decide if you want to change the channel number to achieve a stronger connection.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'll just add a couple of bits to newapollo's advice...

Ethernet is absolutely the best option given a choice. Between the 2 WiFi-bands, 5Ghz & 2.4Ghz have different behaviours. 5Ghz is capable of quicker speeds than 2.4Ghz which makes it potentially more suitable for video streaming. However, it doesn't have the same range as 2.4Ghz, and if two devices are struggling to connect, then that's a factor.

Also.. if many of your immediate neighbours are using 5Ghz devices but not many are using 2.4Ghz, radio interference could take over. Using a WiFi scanner such as inSSIder can assist with this.

There is no hard & fast rule of "one size fits all" - just principles of what can work better, and experimentation with your specific kit. I'm fairly sure that V401 errors do relate to poor WiFi signal strength, but checking in each box's network connection screen should help here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both for the advice. Signal strength has always looked excellent when checked but I'm going to try it on 2.4Ghz fixed. Think it was set to auto switch beween the two bands so this in itself I guess could cause a problem. If this does not work I'll probably buy a couple of 5 port switches and try wired into the Eeros. Already have an Xbox wired into one and a PC wired into the other, the 3rd V6 will have to stay wireless as not near enough to an Eero box to run wired. I'm also considering a switch to TV360 but having read some of the comments on the board that may be a case of frying pan and fire.....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@smartn wrote:

I'm also considering a switch to TV360 but having read some of the comments on the board that may be a case of frying pan and fire.....

I don't have a 360, others on here do.

The V6/TiVo is a very mature and stable platform, the 360 box is in its infancy but will - in time - be a much improved product.

Whatever you decide, do so on an informed basis - I believe a switch to the 360 platform is a one-way journey.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos