Menu
Cawsie
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade to ultimate oomph

Hi.

Son soon moving out and taking Sky with him.

So i have Virgin 500 mb already installed , with Maxit tv i think it's called.

V6 box is in his room about 8 feet away from router( it's in modem mode, using my own router).

So my questions are...

1 If i went for the ult oomph package, would an engineer be sent out as i believe this package has a mini box as part of the deal.

2 As my son will no longer be here, i want the V6 box moved downstairs to the living room. Would he need to run cabling from the router to the new location as i already have ethernet cabling available from router to downstairs location.

3 Does the mini box require cabling in via coaxial or can it be connected solely wirelessly to the V6 or 360.

4 Would there be any charge to move the Main box downstairs considering i'm upgrading to the ult oomph package.

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade to ultimate oomph

Firstly a package change is entirely separate from a change of software from TiVo-platform (which powers TiVo & V6) to the 360-platform, so don't get the two confused. A migration from TiVo > 360 is entirely voluntary at this time, and I strongly recommend you do some reading into it before deciding to convert - it does have some new features, but is also missing some functionality that TiVo excels at. Some like it, others don't - but a migration to 360 is irreversible with no "change of mind", so please do so because you want the new software and not just because you think it's compulsory - it's not.

That aside...  you've got a few questions mixed in here, so this post will be lengthy - sorry.

All Virgin TV boxes need 2 connections - a co-ax cable for the live TV channels, and an internet connection for your OnDemand, streaming & EPG/software updates. Whilst the 'net connection can be wireless, the co-ax is a physical one and if you don't have a connection point where you want the multiroom box installed, that renders it a manned installation for the tech to run the necessary cabling.

If you're on the TiVo-platform, your multiroom box will be a fully functional second V6. If you migrate to the 360 platform, one shortcoming is that your second box will be a mini without a hard drive - all your recordings will go onto your main box and the mini will stream recordings.

That alone, is a very good reason to remain on the TiVo-platform for the package change and multiroom installation. If, having researched, you decide you want to migrate your (then) 2 x V6 onto the 360 platform, you can do so via a software download.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Cawsie
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade to ultimate oomph

Ok. Thanks Japitts very helpful

0 Kudos