Menu
dayzo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade to V6 and keep old 500GB box?

Can I upgrade to a V6 box and keep my Tivo500GB as a second box on my home network?

or do I have to give it up and if I want two boxes order an additional V6 installation?

Thanks

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade to V6 and keep old 500GB box?

Hi I'm quite sure you can obviously you will have to pay for a second box £7.50 a month, if you don't have the coxial cable already installed to provide the signal, i don't think virgin are setting up 2nd box installs at the moment. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
dayzo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

good point, thanks, I wonder if I can upgrade through self install and keep the old box activated until such time as they are, so that we can keep all the recordings?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

you should be able to do this but would have to pay the multiroom fee for the 2nd box
0 Kudos
dayzo
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

that sounds like what I am after, seems to you can keep the 2nd box and connect via ethernet, no options to order this through my account that I can find so will likely have to sit on 150 for a while....thanks!

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Personally, I don’t think you can do what you want. Every box requires a co-ax connection to remain active on the network. You don’t have sufficient co-ax connections.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
dayzo
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

yes I think you are right, have read a few more posts and sites ow and VM needs coax for each box as they are independently signalled, you can then link them via home network to pick up recordings from one box to the other. Sky boxes work on a master-slave basis so I think only these can be linked via ethernet....thank you...

0 Kudos
Spencer_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can use a V6 box that is already setup without a coax connection, you would just have no live TV at all, only On Demand/Catch Up/Apps basically everything internet based. So what you would have to do for the time being would be swap your current box round so the V6 could do it's install then put your original box back and move the V6 to wherever you wanted it, that way you would have both boxes active and working, but no live TV on your V6. Until you could get the cabling put in place, you would need to connect the V6 back up to the coax at least once every 2 weeks

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Why not try our text messaging service? It's a great way to get help with your services.

Just send your query to 07533051809 and we'll text you back.

We're open 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am - 5pm weekends.

If my post has helped you at all please mark it Helpful or give a Kudos, thanks!
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

not true. After some time the box will stop working when it can't phone home.
if you connect it every 2 weeks it will phone home and deactivate as it will no longer be active.
0 Kudos
Spencer_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I had a 2nd V6 in my bedroom without a coax for just over a year because I couldn't be bothered to run coax to the box, it didn't deactivate once. Once a week or once every couple of weeks I just took it into the living room, connected it in place of my main V6 then later that evening took it back into the bedroom, was fine.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Why not try our text messaging service? It's a great way to get help with your services.

Just send your query to 07533051809 and we'll text you back.

We're open 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am - 5pm weekends.

If my post has helped you at all please mark it Helpful or give a Kudos, thanks!
0 Kudos