Menu
Oldun
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade TIVO to V6

In the present circumstances can I get this upgrade carried with a self-installation package

0 Kudos
Jroberts11
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Upgrade TIVO to V6

Hello
Yes that should be possible
With regards to getting this sorted, there is a way you can contact our team other than the Live chat or call route.
I'd suggest the best thing to do would be to contact the team via the text message service.
Their contact number is 07533051809.
The team will then be back in touch!
I hope this helps

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how and you might just get it!

I am a serving Field Technician at Virgin however all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

RAZKEKIC
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

did you manage to sort this out? I am looking to do the same but can't get through to anyone.

0 Kudos
Oldun
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No luck yet.

I have been too busy sorting out a phone and bank scam.

Thankfully now both resolved

0 Kudos
Oldun
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have texted the number 07533051809 seven times but have yet to receive any form of a reply.

I spoke on the phone to an extremely helpful lady in Retentions and was give an very nice reductions in my monthly costs but she told me that she could not help with V6 box to replace my old Tivo.

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Oldum,

Thanks for your post

Can you please give our team a call on 0345 454 1111 and we'll seek to have this resolved for you. 

If you're seeking a possible free upgrade for a soon to be decommissioned set top box you may be able to do this via your self-care account

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Oldun
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have phoned VM and, after a long wait, got through to a very helpful lady. I started off b saying that I wanted to leave VM but she persuaded me to try some new equipment.

She has arranged for me to upgrade my router via the self install method. I explained that the internet connection was continually dropping for a brief period. I also informed her though I was, supposedly, on 200 mb/s but that the VM speed test regularly give results something close to the following:

Ping 50 -150

Upload speeds 1 - 3 Mb/s

Download speeds 12 - 15 Mb/s

No matter how many times I reset the router or get VM to do tests that is what I always get. I also pointed out that Zoom and Microsoft Teams both drop out a reconnect every 30 seconds or so.

I pointed out that there has been a long period of network problems in the area so it may be that my VM equipment has no relevance to the problems I am experiencing.

I also queried  the problematic TV connection through my  very old TIVO box. The picture when watching a TV channel is not too bad but recorded TV play back is dreadful. The picture is, at best awful, with large amounts of colorful blocking and there is repeated buffering. Catch-up rarely works.

The result is that VM is sending me a replacement router for self installation and they have arranged for an engineer to call and check, what they called, an set top box input problem. She resolutely refused to send me out a replacement V6 box but insisted on an engineer visit.

I used to be impressed with VM but not any longer.

I cannot see me being a VM customer in September 

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Oldun,

Thank you for the update and for getting in touch with our helpline as David suggested. Did the agent advise why an engineer visit was required, rather than sending out a replacement in the post?

Please keep us updated with how things go following on from your visit and when your new router has been installed, as we're keen to get this sorted for you as soon as possible.

If you need help with anything else just let me know.

Beth

0 Kudos
Oldun
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Got my new router today, the day after it was ordered

Set up OK - very easy

With old router

Ping 50 -150

Upload speeds 1 - 3 Mb/s

Download speeds 12 - 15 Mb/s

With new router

Ping: 15

Download: 148

Upload: 21

So far so good

Engineer calling tomorrow to sort out my dodgy, old and noisy TIVO Box

0 Kudos
Oldun
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

A Virgin M engineer called and found that the signal strength was poor for the internet and not too good for the TV.

He checked my new Hub 3 and pronounced it OK. I now get a ping of around 15 ms, a download speed of around 140 mbps and an upload speed of around 20 mbps. The internet is now steady and I no longer suffer often, brief drop-outs as I did before.

The Tivo was was found to be in a poor state with a failing hard drive so he said that he would order a replacement V6 box.

He escalated the signal problem to another team and they arrived an hour later to investigate the wiring in our block of retirement homes (built 1999). The declared the wiring as old and poor and stripped out most of the connection boxes and installed new equipment. So I am now a little more optimistic.

All I need now is a replacement V8 box.