Menu
deans6571
Trouble shooter
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unpausing Sky Sports.

I received an email from VM tonight stating that my recent pausing of Sky Sports (because all the sport has stopped due to COVID-19), will, this month, be unpaused, because sport is to commence again this month in June. 

But - the BBC have also announced that this sport, will be shown on free to air channels so why is VM now gonna start charging for sport which is shown for free on free to air channels?

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unpausing Sky Sports.

As re-sellers, Virgin Media will stop the pause as directed by Sky and BT who are un-pausing at the same time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

plenty of games aren't free. over half of sky's will still require payment. the channels themselves still exist and have continued to broadcast through the paused state.

if you have a complaint contact sky, bt and amazon. they dictate what happens. virgin and others follow.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have no doubt that this goes right back to the Premier League authorities themselves, who after all make their money from TV rights. No doubt they are getting money from the rights holders, so they have to get the money from us.

The games being shown on Sky/BT & Amazon are exclusive live games. These will not be shown on the BBC.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sky Sports will be broadcasting 39 Premier League matches to subscribers from 17 June and will certainly want money for this. For those who don't want to pay there will be 25 more matches on Pick (channel 165).

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

For my part...

The process for getting sports credits started to appear around the 3rd week of March for Sky, and maybe a week or so later for BT, my bill credits were the 26th for Sky and the 4th for BT. Given that live sport had stopped around mid-March and the bills run a month in arrears to "real-time" that's all fair enough. We've had nigh-on 3 months of "no sport", but not quite 3months work of Sky credits.

I've received the emails and read the FAQs, but I notice that BT are just saying "you've now had your last credit" which is fair enough and entirely expected. But as I read it, there'll be a charge re-added to our bills to cover the element of the latest Sky credit that rolls on after the 19th June.

So even though there were a few weeks between sport stopping and the Sky credits being applied, they're being penny-pinching and making sure payments resume as close to the day of football starting, as possible. The BT approach seems altogether fairer to me. 3months of no-sport has meant 3months of BT credits - fine. But it's probably going to be closer to 2.5 months of Sky credits, give or take. Better than nothing I agree, but penny-pinching on Sky's part.

I appreciate VM are probably reliant on commercial terms with BT & Sky for this, but we pay our bills to VM, and so it's they who get the whinge:)

PhilipF
Up to speed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I understand that Premier league has given Sky a deferral of payments for the remaining games. 1/3rd of the games are free to air on BBC/Amazon and Sky.

0 Kudos