Menu
IB
Up to speed
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unified search issue - Gavin and Stacey

Just wanted to share a unified search issue. We had some friends over for New Year, and yesterday decided to binge watch old episodes of Gavin and Stacey as one of our friends never got into the show previously, but enjoyed this year's Christmas Special.

So used the TV6 remote to search for Gavin and Stacey, and the first series gave options to buy the show on Virgin Store, or watch it on Netflix or UKTV Play On Demand. Even selecting "More Options" didn't show it as an option for iPlayer.

As always, I trusted the search results - I tried Netflix, but that wasn't actually playing the first series. Guessing it may have been there previously and has been removed, but VM TV search indexes aren't quite up to date. It happens.

So we watched on UKTV Play. The quality was SD and a bit jarring, but those of us that have watched the programme before were pretty sure some key scenes were missing/shortened. Guessed it was probably to fit adverts in and allow for pre-watershed showing on Dave, but was a bit annoying.

Once we got to the second series, we watched on Netflix, quality was obviously better in HD and full length episodes without scene cuts/edits.

Just noticed on iPlayer though that the first series is available - firstly on the computer, but then went to iPlayer through the app on the V6 box. Sure enough, all the G&S episodes are there.

Now, the cynic in me says this could be VM positioning themselves to get sales through the Virgin Store and/or ad revenues for themselves or UKTV through the on demand offering...

The optimist in me says this could just be a mistake, it happens and there might be nothing more in it than that.

Whatever the reason, it's a little disappointing because I'm now thinking about what else we haven't been able to find with the VM search that may have been there.

Of course, for various programmes I can go to iPlayer (and/or Netflix, ITV Player, etc, etc) and check individually...  But it kind of makes having a unified search redundant if it can't be used/trusted.

Not trying to be unreasonable - I know some things slip through the net --- and I know this really is a 1st world problem! Just thought I'd share it and see if others have seen similar....

SRow
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unified search issue - Gavin and Stacey

We are also getting a similar issue.  We decided to watch Mortimer & Whitehouse Gone Fishing from the start of series 1, so added a Series Link on the V6, expecting to see all the past series & episodes.  It only offered the beginning of series 1 on UKTV Play, but no option for iPlayer.  We watched the first episode via UKTV Play, but it was poor quality.  We then went directly to the iPlayer app, and searched, and all the series & episodes are there!  Why aren't these being offered in the Series Link?  UKTV Play is part of our TV package, so there is no benefit to them or Virgin in pushing us down this route, and as I said, the quality was very poor as well.

We've only had the Virgin TV box for 2 weeks, and find this very disappointing, as the Series Link seemed like a great way to find & catch up on old episodes,

Anyone found a way round this, or got a sensible answer from Virgin?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I don't think the BBC allow Virgin to search or link to iplayer

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

They do - but it only works for those that are in the EPG and so are 'catch up'

Where the boxsets exist in iPlayer that aren't currently being broadcast anywhere, they won't show up in the TiVo search at the moment.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
SRow
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi dannylau,

They do seem to show iPlayer on all our other BBC shows Series Links ok.  It's just this one, where some episodes are on UKTV Play which is a subscription service unless included in your Virgin package.  It's just odd that they don't show both.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
SRow
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi BenMcr,

Mortimer & Whitehouse series 3 has just started, so is in the EPG, but Series Link is not offering iPlayer for series 1 & 2, only UKTV Play.  Other programmes are offering iPlayer ok.  I know we can go directly to iPlayer, but the Series Link route seemed so useful.  A shame if you can't rely on it.

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr wrote:

They do - but it only works for those that are in the EPG and so are 'catch up'

Where the boxsets exist in iPlayer that aren't currently being broadcast anywhere, they won't show up in the TiVo search at the moment.

Sorry yes I worded that badly

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos