Menu
RTD
Tuning in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Unable to play recording

I recently tried to play a programme I recorded on 28/7/19 from BBC2 HD and it wouldn't play. I had watched the recording several times before with no problem. But this time a message said "We're sorry but this recording can't be viewed because BBC2 HD is no longer available from Virgin Media"  which doesn't make sense. Can anyone explain this?

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unable to play recording

This usually means that the channel number you recorded it on is no longer available.

In this situation, you can continue to watch the recording for a number of months, don’t know how many, until it becomes no longer available.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There's been another post on the exact same subject recently, which tells me the EPG data has been deleted. In response to the poster, there's two parts to the solution:

Firstly, the vast majority of the time there is no time limit on watching TiVo/V6 recordings as long as you subscribe to that channel. Having said that, the boxes are intended for timeshifting not long-term archiving : When channels are deleted for any reason the hidden EPG-data that enables recordings to still work, is usually retained for 3/6 months. When that data is eventually removed, the ability to watch the recordings also stops.

Secondly, a while back Ch 102 was BBC2-SD, and Ch162 was BBC2-HD. When Ch102 was made into the HD version, there were some changes to the various regional versions of BBC-2 HD across England & Scotland - the end result being that "old" BBC2-HD was deleted, and "new" BBC2-HD was created.

It would seem that the EPG data for "old" BBC2-HD has now been deleted, and those recordings are thus now unwatchable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Felim_Doyle
Superfast
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I have fallen foul of this two. I have over fifty episodes of Panorama which I haven't had time to watch until now but I have discovered that they are no longer available because the channel from which they were recorded is supposedly no longer available on Virgin Media.

Some were recorded from BBC1 Scotland and some from BBC1 Wales. I didn't choose to record them from those regional channels, my TiVo box made that decision. However, these channels are flagged as no longer available although it appears that they have simply been renamed as BBC ONE Scotland and BBC ONE Wales. Frankly, I think this kind of rebranding, which Channel 5 also went through multiple times, is pointless and an unnecessary expense.

The programmes are recorded on my TiVo box, not bookmarked in Catch Up or On Demand but I can't access them. It looks as though my only option is to delete them to recover the disk space.

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi Felim_Doyle,

I'm sorry that you're now unable to watch the episodes of Panorama.

Unfortunately, as japitts pointed out, due to the changes made to those channels, it would mean that the recordings are now unavailable. Apologies for any disappointment.

Let me know if there's anything else you need.

Regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

BBC2 was never a regional channel in HD until about a year ago.

Then the BBC introduced three HD versions (England/Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland). These replaced the UK wide BBC2, & at the same time HD replaced SD on channel 102 (with a short delay to coincide with the launch of BBC Scotland in Scotland, where BBC2 HD remains on 162).

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Felim_Doyle
Superfast
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

It just seems peculiar that the programmes are physically recorded on my TiVo box but I can't play them because the channel has been renamed, moved or otherwise altered.

On occasions where the TV service has been unavailable, I've always been able to play recorded items without a connection to the VM network. Perhaps if I disconnect the coax the programmes will play! 🤔🙄

Félim
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@Felim_Doyle wrote:

It just seems peculiar that the programmes are physically recorded on my TiVo box but I can't play them because the channel has been renamed, moved or otherwise altered.

On occasions where the TV service has been unavailable, I've always been able to play recorded items without a connection to the VM network. Perhaps if I disconnect the coax the programmes will play! 🤔🙄

Unlikely, as the box will use the last copy of the channel mux NIT (Network Identification Table) it was sent by the VM headend server. If the channel is not identified on it, the recording won't play.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Felim_Doyle
Superfast
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I was being facetious nodrogd but interesting to know how it works. Thanks!

Félim
0 Kudos
PaddersInvirg
Tuning in
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem. These are still on my box and the channel is still broadcasting so I should be able to watch them even if the ID has changed. I am sure that if the software engineers were given the correct requirements they could have programmed the box to do the right thing. This is more than disappointing. Any chance that the software could be upgraded to enable us to watch the programs that we expected to be able to watch?