cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultra hd channel picture Quality

AMCG
On our wavelength

Hello everybody, just wanted to check something with you all.

Recently bought a Sharp 4k ultra hd TV and I have been watching virgin ultra channel.  Tonight I watched Crouching Tiger Hidden dragon the picture quality was blurry, grainy more like SD than UHD It's not the connection, bandwidth or settings, box or TV, I have checked all that, compared it with BBC iPlayer, UHD blue planet is spectacular!!! So,

I can only conclude Virgin ultra is not showing 4k uhd films,  am I missing something?  The other 4k content is poor so I would only watch the film's, tonight's showing was the first that I wanted to watch and was disappointed, CTHD is real 4k not upscaled yet the picture quality was poor. So has anybody else noticed this?  please reply with what you were watching, doesn't seem right to be paying for something that's not as described.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @AMCG 

I didn't watch Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon on the VM UHD channel, however I've just checked and providing you also subscribe to Sky Cinema it's  available to watch via Box Sets & Movies > Movies >  Sky Cinema UHD.  I double checked on my LG TV and it's showing at 2160p.

Checking IiPlayer on both my TV and 360 Blue Planet is only  showing in HD whilst Blue Planet  2 is  shown in UHD HLG HDR

If you watch BP2 in  UHD HLG HDR you will see a further improvement in picture quality  -  there are a few programs on the BT Sport Ultimate channel in UHD HDR

It would be interesting to record CTHD on Wednesday on VM UHD channel and then compare it to the version on Sky Cinema UHD

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @AMCG 

I didn't watch Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon on the VM UHD channel, however I've just checked and providing you also subscribe to Sky Cinema it's  available to watch via Box Sets & Movies > Movies >  Sky Cinema UHD.  I double checked on my LG TV and it's showing at 2160p.

Checking IiPlayer on both my TV and 360 Blue Planet is only  showing in HD whilst Blue Planet  2 is  shown in UHD HLG HDR

If you watch BP2 in  UHD HLG HDR you will see a further improvement in picture quality  -  there are a few programs on the BT Sport Ultimate channel in UHD HDR

It would be interesting to record CTHD on Wednesday on VM UHD channel and then compare it to the version on Sky Cinema UHD

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

AMCG
On our wavelength

Your right blue planet 2,BBC have a few UHD on I player, would be interesting alright to compare sky and virgin UHD, didn't realise virgin aren't HDR as well that would go some way to explain to poor quality picture but it shouldn't be grainy/fuzzy not for what should be 4k.appreciate the comment.

Wait and see does anybody else comment.