Menu
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

UHD Channel logo - Burn In risk?

I just took delivery of a 4k telly and was excited to notice tonight that Virgin have a UHD Channel.

I was less than excited though to notice that the channel logo was big, bright and full opacity - just the right mix to cause screen burn.

Because a large %age of TV's using this channel with be OLEDs it seems a strange decision for this channel logo to be so big and bright.

I'll stick to channels with no logo, Netflix and DVDs for now but I  hope this feedback makes it back to whoever controls channel logos as this looks like an oversight.

Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: UHD Channel logo - Burn In risk?

LED (and Samsung QLED) TVs are not susceptible to burn-in for the average home user, but there are reports of problems with OLEDs.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yeh basically if you are watching on UHD you've a QLED or an OLED, not looking for an OLED versus QLED debate here though.

Just looking to raise with Virgin that one side of that userbase does not want channel logos, and it's particularly strange decision to put a full brightness one on a UHD channel in particular.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi the content of the guide is out of virgins control as they are the platform for the stations, they don't have any channels of thier own, so they have no way to alter what they are provided with from the individual companies that make up packages.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

'one side of that userbase does not want channel logos'

completely down to the channels themselves. your beef is with them individually. although unlikely to change. it would be like shops removing their branding because some didn't like seeing signs.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

LG OLED TVs detect static logos and reduce brightness to reduce the risk of burn-in. Here is more information about burn-in on OLED TVs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/12/04/oled-screen-burn-is-there-a-ticking-time-bomb-ins...

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos