Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Two V6 Boxes (without content sharing)

So in a month or so we are planning on dropping Sky & BT in favour of moving to Virgin for full services (already have internet with them).

We'll most likely be going for the Ultimate Oomph Bundle with two V6 boxes, while I already have most info there is one thing that remains unclear. Do the two boxes recognise each other automatically because of the shared internet, and can they be prevented from connecting with each other?

Ideally we would want the two boxes run independent of each other or are we stuck with them being able to share content?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Two V6 Boxes (without content sharing)

V6 boxes can have their own Series Links and recordings. Although they will share recordings across each box, access to the 'other' box is separated from the content on the box, so it's clear what content comes from what box.

On Demand content is shared between all boxes on the account.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That's what I was expecting (I saw the video with the sharing/Multiroom). We were hoping it would be possible to keep them 100% separate like Sky multiroom is (not Q).

But so long as series link & recordings are separate that's fine.

Thanks for answering.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You can stop them sharing if you put them on different Wi-Fi networks(I think) 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If the V6s are on different subnets they cannot connect to each other but the average user won't understand that.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Mohegan wrote:

That's what I was expecting (I saw the video with the sharing/Multiroom). We were hoping it would be possible to keep them 100% separate like Sky multiroom is (not Q).

But so long as series link & recordings are separate that's fine.

Thanks for answering.

Yep, they're basically separate, if you want to access a recording from the other box you have to specifically go to an "Other Boxes" section. The difference with SkyQ is that only one box is a "real" recording box, the others are just simple play back devices that get all their content from the main box and can't work without it, with the V6 both of them are fully functional boxes.  

0 Kudos