Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tv remote and volume control

Just had VM (TiVo 6) installed and connected to my Bose solo sound bar via the digital audio input/output. I have followed the instructions on the virgin web site re setting up my VM remote to control the volume to no effect. Can anyone advise. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tv remote and volume control

I thought I'd just check that you've tried both the "search" method and the "device code" method described here ?  (where it says "Control your AV device using your Virgin TV remote")

There are three entries for Bose in the official list of codes here , but the search method may find something else compatible if those 3 don't work.

If neither the direct code entry (my preferred method) or the search function work then I'm afraid you're out of luck and the Virgin remote won't be able to control your soundbar.

Keith

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Keith,

Yes I’ve tried both methods to no avail but I’ve since tried the following:

1 select “home” and then going into settings then select “help”

2 Scroll to the top and then select set up remote and followed the on screen prompts.

3 Eventually got through to a page asking do I want to set up the tv or an AV device.

4 Followed the on screen prompts again and can now control the audio but now I can’t turn off the tv via the vm remote I now have to use the tv remote to do that. 

‘I’ve tried the remote set up to control the tv on/off but after doing that I’ve lost the ability to control the volume. It seems to me that you can either control the tv on/off function or the volume but not both. Is that correct?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You can definitely control both a TV and and AV device with the Virgin remote, but the remote has to be programmed for the TV first then the AV (the soundbar in your case).

I know that this works when using the "device code" method (because I have it working that way), and I thought that using the V6/TiVo menus to setup the remote effectively did the same as the method described online . . . but maybe not?

To be honest though, I barely use the TV control function of the Virgin remote because switching HDMI inputs and other functionality of the TV is much easier with the proper TV remote (and much of the functionality isn't mapped to the Virgin remote anyway).  Controlling volume (on my Soundbar) is much more important/useful/common to me, so if I personally could only get one working then I'd go for the AV over the TV.

Keith

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Keith,

Thanks for the info, I’ll give it a go later and let you know if this corrects everything.

Cheers. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have just been through the process of setting up the volume on my Yamaha Sound bar and it works fin.  However, I though the Virgin Remote controls wer Universal Controller and you could programme them to switch on/of with a single button....no such luck!

0 Kudos