Menu
Wormy3
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Tv recordings freezing and picture distorted

For the last couple of weeks, many tv recordings have moments when the picture freezes and distorts. Have rebooted but still the same. One film we recorded stopped three times during the recording. Each time it picked up and started recording again (so we had three bits to watch) but overall it was disjointed and it gave up altogether before the end. Fortunately, we were able to get it off iPlayer. This is unacceptable. Can anything be done for us?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tv recordings freezing and picture distorted

Assuming your live TV is ok... try pausing or rewinding live viewing. Is that also affected?

If so... you have problems with your hard drive, which will only get worse over time, and (probably) eventually fail. Streaming apps are carried over the internet and so shouldn't be affected.

Your box needs replacing - call VM TV Faults on 150 (from a VM phone) or 0345 4541111 from any other phone, and follow the options for "I have a fault with my TV service"

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Wormy3
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

We can pause and rewind live tv, but this is not affected. So what should we do? Thank you for your reply. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Were these recorded programmes from particular channels? Can you watch those channels live?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Wormy3
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Different channels, and yes, we can watch them live without any problems. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Problems on live TV tends to be caused by signal issues, but a broken picture will also affect the recordings

Problems with your hard drive will affect all recorded or "paused & rewind" TV, but live TV is unaffected

From the sounds of it, there may have had a problem with that channel at the time those recordings were made, meaning the recordings are iffy. You don't have that problem now.

0 Kudos
Wormy3
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Well I’ll let you know. We recorded Waterhole last night and watched it later and it froze and broke up several times....and has happened over several recordings this past couple of weeks. I don’t understand ‘you don’t have that problem now’. If we do continue to have this problem....should we report it to VM? Thanks for your interest in this. 

0 Kudos
Wormy3
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

TiVo freezing

For the last couple of weeks we have been having problems with recordings playback, insofar as they will freeze and pixellate, sometimes moving itself on haphazardly or sometimes not moving on at all. This seems to be getting worse as now we can’t rely on a programme recording cleanly and hope we are able to catch it on iPlayer. Does this sound like we need an engineer or new TiVo 6 box? All connections are secure and we have rebooted the box on several occasions. Thanks for your help but I can’t get anywhere with this problem on the website or by phoning. 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TiVo freezing

Hi Wormy3,

Recordings pixellating sounds like a hard drive error. 

Have you tried signing into Service status at the top of this page? It shows any local faults and you can also run a test against the V6 box. By doing this VM should be able to try and connect to your box and determine what  the problem is. Sometimes this results in them sending out a replacement and/or engineer.

If that doesn't work then you need to contact the Faults team on 150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1 and 2 (Faultsbut best to call at 8am to avoid call queues 

When calling Faults hopefully the system will recognise that if used the online faults checker and place you into a queue for an agent to pick up.

If not and you get the automated response asking you to press 1 for the link to online support, ignore the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and resolve the problem.

You could also try the text messaging service. Just send  a text with a description of TV Faults to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days. 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Wormy3  I've merged your posts with your existing thread 🙂

@Wormy3 wrote:

If we do continue to have this problem....should we report it to VM? Thanks for your interest in this. 

As with any service fault - yes, if you don't report your faults, there's a very good chance Virgin won't know you have issues.

You can always check for known area faults on 0800 5610061. If your fault isn't listed, the chances are it's not reported.

0 Kudos