Menu
Zaichornok
Settling in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

To watch on a TV in another room, do I need the Powerline kit AND another TIVO box?

Anyone using this feature?

The virgin video says you can stream recorded programs from your main TIVO box to another room.

But can you watch live TV channels as well?

Where do I buy the Powerline kit and the 2nd TIVO box?

And how do I find out if my current TIVO is V6?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: To watch on a TV in another room, do I need the Powerline kit AND another TIVO box?

Hello

To be able to watch TV in another room you would need another Tivo / V6, which you would have to add to your VM package

V6 box is

index.jfif

Tivo box is

index1.jfif

Both boxes would need a connection to the network as well, Tivo is Ethernet Only where as the V6 is Ethernet and Wireless.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Zaichornok
Settling in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: To watch on a TV in another room, do I need the Powerline kit AND another TIVO box?

Thanks so much Mike

So I have the little square one which is V6 I guess.

So do I order the 2nd one from Virgin? There is nothing on their website about it.

And do you know, with the 2nd V6 connected vis the Powerline Kit (Netgear PL1000-100UKS), will it have all the functionality of the 1st V6 in the other room?

Thanks

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello

It will also require a coaxial connection to get the main TV signal from VM, and currently VM are not installing any extra/upgrades equipment due to CV-19

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Zaichornok
Settling in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

OK I see - that makes sense, I can always install the Coax cable myself, - and then I would need some kind of splitter for the third coax?

So is the Netgear Powerline only transmitting the recorded stuff from the hard drive via ethernet to the second box, but nothing else?

Seems to be a lot of hardware for not much advantage.

Probably wont bother now - just want to understand how it works, and what I features I get and don't get.

Rob

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

You will not be able to install the cable yourself as VM use high specs cables/connectors and depending on distance the powerlevels may need adjusting so can only be done by an engineer, the powerline will only deal with the recorded data and the on demand data.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You could install the Virgin TV Go app on iOS, Android and Windows 10 laptops, tablets and mobiles.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Zaichornok
Settling in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Roger.

I wanted to get transmission onto the large TV in the other room, but will look at this option with the iMac.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It should be possible to stream from a device to a TV, there are various options (haven't tried them apart from an HDMI cable from a PC several years ago).

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos