cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo box stopped working

vm_customer
Joining in

Hello.

Our Tivo box stopped working this morning. The self-service checking on the website or in the app doesn't work and just hangs so I never reach the stage where I can book an engineer visit.

Please could you arrange for an engineer to visit us ASAP.

The box was on this morning as other people in the house were watching TV. There was a thunderstorm passing by around 8am and the next time someone tried to watch TV around 8.30am, it didn't work.

I've tried restarting the box a couple of times, and the equipment check via the website and the app but it's not getting anywhere.

The "Starting up..." message appears but the colours are all distorted. The screen goes black after around five minutes and that's it. The remote control works and the box responds to button presses but there's nothing on screen. All I can do it put it on standby.

I hope that information is helpful. It definitely needs someone to look at it.

I will provide address details after a forum team member sends me a private message. I don't think I can initiate it having looked in the messages area.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you want an immediate response I'd recommend calling in - 150 from VM or 0345 4541111 otherwise.

Faulty TiVo's are now replaced with V6 which run the same software on a much newer and quicker box, providing you have VM home broadband.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you want an immediate response I'd recommend calling in - 150 from VM or 0345 4541111 otherwise.

Faulty TiVo's are now replaced with V6 which run the same software on a much newer and quicker box, providing you have VM home broadband.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

vm_customer
Joining in

Thank you. I've realised we already have a V6 box, so I expect we need a new one of those. We do have broadband and phone with VM. I didn't have time to phone them earlier and I've been on hold for half an hour so I reckon it'll be tomorrow morning now...

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey vm_customer,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your TV box at the moment. I can see that you have had a technician visit, were they able to resolve the issues for you?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

vm_customer
Joining in

Hello Steven.

Thanks for replying and for prompting me to report back. I meant to do it yesterday but got run over by work. 🙂

The visit was 100% successful within two minutes of arrival. The technician said it was lucky he'd just been to someone else who had the same problem, and spent an hour with them before eventually working out the HDMI input into the telly had been fried in the storm. The same happened to us, and thankfully we had a spare HDMI input on the telly which we are now using. A simple swap of the cable was all it took - I can't believe I tried just about everything except that one, thinking the telly would be fine. What a weird one!

Hi @vm_customer 

Thanks for coming back to the thread and confirming all sorted 🙂

Do pop back to the community should you ever need further assistance.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill