Menu
jaydubya
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tivo V6 standby issues

I have set my power setting to "always on" for my Tivo box. But when I start up my Samsung Smart TV, I immediately see a warning that the Tivo box is about to go into standby. Why is this?

If i hit the right button , this warning disappears. But if I hit the wrong button the box goes into standby which is even more frustrating.

Help!

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo V6 standby issues

With the Always On setting, the only way the V6 would start the Standby process is for someone to physically press the Standby button on the V6 remote or some other remote, perhaps a universal remote, to simulate the pressing of this button.

Do you use a Samsung remote control, rather than the physical V6 remote?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jaydubya
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick response.

Mostly I use the Samsung Smart Remote and sometimes the normal Samsung remote since I may want to go into Iplayer or Netflix. I only tend to use the Tivo remote for functions such as pause, rewind or fast forward. I know I could switch the tv on using the Tivo remote but then I might want to swutch to the other options.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you are using the tv remote to switch the tv on - then it sounds as if it is sending the 'on/off' button code to the V6 too.

You could cover the IR sensor over on the V6.

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos
jaydubya
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry but that wouldn't be a solution. If i did that permanently then I wouldn't be able to control the Tivo box. And If i did it temporarily every time I went to switch on the tv that would be just as big a pain as what is currently happening.

I should add that time seems to be a factor since the problem only occurs when the tv has been of for a few hours. If I switch it of and straight back on the problem doesn't occur.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The V6 remote talks to the V6 box using RF - you will only be blocking IR signals with the tape.

@jaydubya wrote:

Sorry but that wouldn't be a solution. If i did that permanently then I wouldn't be able to control the Tivo box. And If i did it temporarily every time I went to switch on the tv that would be just as big a pain as what is currently happening.

I should add that time seems to be a factor since the problem only occurs when the tv has been of for a few hours. If I switch it of and straight back on the problem doesn't occur.

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos
jaydubya
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I tried as you suggested

Once I'd taped over the IR sensor i found that the Tivo box wouldn't respond to either the Samsung Smart remote or the Virgin remote. The only thing that the Virgin remote allowed was to turn the TV off.....nothing else

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That would suggest that your V6 remote is not paired.

Find out how to do this:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-using-tv-remote

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos