Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Problems

Hi -

We managed to get hold of a new Tivo after the old box gave up the ghost. It was so difficult to get in touch with Virgin Media, that I thought I'd ask this in the forum first...

The new box is obviously a lot slicker and faster - but it does seem quite dodgy:

a) it often cuts out briefly when watching something - just glitches out for a second or so.

b) When you first go onto it, you invariably can't go onto Netflix or Iplayer etc. It says there is a problem with the wifi. When you go into the connection it says there is a circa 10% signal to the router. After rebooting it, which takes a while, it then goes up to about 80% and works OK.

So there's obviously some hardware or software issue with how it connects to the router - which is in the room directly upstairs. There are never any problems streaming to a laptop in the lounge (from the router upstairs) so I don't think there is a problem with the home wifi. This seems to be an issue specific to the Tivo box.

Are they known to be unreliable?

Many thanks for any light anyone can shed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Problems

Are you using a TiVo or V6? Please check here and confirm first.

You're mentioning WiFi which would tend to suggest the V6, but assumption can lead to mis-advice.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

sorry my bad for being vague

we have the new T6

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

No problem... I thought as much, but better to be sure.

From your description, the WiFi signal strength is varying and this is probably causing the connection from the box to the router to suffer, do you get any specific error messages when you're using OnDemand or suchlike? This would help confirm.

If you're using the VM Superhub, the box might well be automatically switching between the 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz WiFi bands, and this could cause some varying signal if you're at the limits of 5Ghz range, but jumping from 10% to 80% is going some.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks