cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TiVo sooooo slow picture jerky

jc_palmer
Tuning in

Hi all

i have an old TiVo box. I have a new tv and the picture quality watching recorded it live is so shaky and jerky that it gives you a headache.

the menus are so slow and the purple circle just keeps whirring when navigating to my shows  

The apps are really slow too and clunky. Iplayer app through TiVo takes minutes to load up. 

Now I have a smart TV, which has iplayer etc apps, it’s making the VM totally obsolete and I’m thinking of getting rid especially that the quality of equipment is shocking. 

any ideas? Rebooting everyday helps for a little while then it becomes an issue again. When something is recording and I’m watching a prerecord it’s so jumpy and stop/start that it’s not worth trying to watch. 

2 REPLIES 2

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Tivos being incredibly slow isnt a fault, thats how they have always been.  It cannot be fixed.  You could either upgrade or get rid

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think you've got a couple of issues here. Firstly, if your live TV is jerky, jumping or stuttering, it shouldn't be - that sounds like a fault to me. The same goes for recorded content - you either have a signal fault (affecting live TV) or a hard drive fault (affecting recordings) or both.

But all that said - the TiVo is an old box running old hardware and there's no getting around that. If you have VM broadband, then you could consider a swap to the newer V6 box. It runs the same software as you're used to, but on a much newer box that's far more capable and a lot quicker.

There's pictures of the boxes here if you want to compare.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks