Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TiVo box issue

Albert888
Tuning in

Hi folks 

hope you can help. 
everytime I use my tv box after a period of standby I need to switch it off with switch round back or wall then back on otherwise the Tv says no signal or it flickers between black screen and no signal. 
after a switch off and back on it seems to work till the next time it comes out of standby. 
It’s also making an odd clicking noise which previously was replaced due to failing hard drive but think this is unrelated to the picture issue. 
The thing is the box seems to fire up like normal just doesn’t want to output a signal to the tv. 

any advice welcome.

thanks 

8 REPLIES 8

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have one of the original TiVo's, they're very old boxes now and there's a good chance yours is just faulty.

You could experiment with the power saving options, but I suspect you'll end up reporting the box faulty and having a tech visit - who'll likely replace it with a V6. Much quicker, much newer box - runs the exact same software as you're used to. The only difference is that it relies on VM home broadband for its internet connectivity rather than having the connection inbuilt.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Albert888
Tuning in

I think it is a v6 box. Was replaced a couple of years ago cause faulty hard drive. I still call it TiVo box. 
now I’m getting these issues. Still connected to the same tv with the same cable in the same place and not moved. It’s almost like the hdmi port or board on the unit has fried itself or given. Had similar thing with an ps4 before. The hdmi port works with the ps5, switch etc so it’s not the tv. 
maybe a call to customer services is needed. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box 

V6 run TiVo software but are very different hardware.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Definitely v6 box. 

If the TV has got multiple HDMI ports, try the box on another port

Hi @Albert888 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community. Sorry to hear of the V6 issue. Were you able to try the other HDMI port/ports? 

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Albert888
Tuning in

Hi, 

we I’ve tried other ports and cables now. Also try the different standby settings and hdmi outputs. 
unfortunately it’s still the same. 
Looks like if the box is on standby for a while, over an hour, when it wakes up the hdmi handshake doesn’t work or completes. Tv sees no signal but the box is on and running as it responds to remote. If I press power twice it goes back into standby and I can get it turn back on but no signal. 
does seem like the hdmi port or hdmi logic board is at fault on the v6 box. 

Thanks for coming back to the thread Albert888, 

When you turn your TV on, does it go to the V6 input automatically? Or does it go to the TV configured channels and then you have to manually change the input on the TV remote?

Alex_Rm