Menu
wisser
Settling in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TiVo Upgrade to V6

The first stage in my self installation guide for upgrading my old TiVo box to a V6 is to call an automated line to activate the new kit. The line is not automated (I get placed in a long CS queue) making the "1 min" guide time a little wrong. I don't want to sit in a 1 hour queue to discover that this is not a necessary step, and waste valuable call centre bandwidth.

Do I still need to do this, or can I just switch the boxes around and it will just work?

My existing powerlines are much higher spec than the ones provided by Virgin, I assume I can just use my existing setup which has worked fine with the old TiVo box?

Finally, are Virgin still taking Hub 3 hardware back. I didn't have a Connect+ card in my box for returning the old kit.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TiVo Upgrade to V6

Quite often new equipment is sent out pre-activated, and as soon as it's powered up and connected, it will self-activate.

If this fails, then quite often the online advice on https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-error-codes/7400 will allow you to resolve activation issues by self-serve methods.

If that fails, then you will need to call 0800 9539500 and speak to an agent to complete the process.

CM's current kit recycling is shown at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-return-or-recycle-equipment 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
wisser
Settling in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I suspect that this V6 is not pre-activated. I was sent the box a while ago and I'm only just finding the time to install it now.

I say that, because I also received a separate Hub 4 more recently that didn't have an activation step in the start guide. Suggesting pre-activation is an optimisation that Virgin has made on more recent kit.

I'm reasonably technically minded, so I'm fine to give it a go. Lots of the FAQs seem to lay it on quite thick not to power it up until you've activated it.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Depending how long ago "a while" is, it may have been deactivated through non-use in the intervening time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The pending activation signals for kit are time limited, so if kit you're sent isn't plugged in pretty much straight away then you have to go through the activation line to get it working.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos