Menu
Deeplay
Dialled in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thinking of coming back to Virgin TV

Hi been a virgin broadband customer for a few years and aside from last few days always had great speeds but know they working on a fix. Got a superfast 350mb line so no worries there.

Have been with Sky for my TV the past 18 months and out of contract now. Thing of switching back, one of the main reasons is they are updating the sky q boxes with a new interface and those who have had this are for the most part NOT happy. And from what I have seen its a messy downgrade rather than upgrade.

I like the 4k / UHD content that can be had from Sky though so wondering what do virgin offer in this way ? they have already offered me a pretty good deal if i switch tv back to Virgin ...

whats other peoples views now on Virgin vs Sky for TV (not broadband as Virgin wins that hands down imo)

interested in other peoples opinions on Virgin tv and if I should switch back.

thanks for reading Dino

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Thinking of coming back to Virgin TV

Hi there

Ill send you a private message to discuss this further with you if that's okay. 

Thanks

Christy 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Virgin has one dedicated channel with UHD content, plus BT Sports Ultimate. They have yet to get the promised Sky Sports or Sky Movies UHD channels that were announced at the end of last year.

Virgin are also updating their UI shortly. This is linked to a new TV product that will be similar to SkyQ (master box with slave mini boxes). Unlike Sky all boxes will still need a coax connection in addition to WiFi/Ethernet.

Some channels that recently left Sky are still on Virgin.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Deeplay
Dialled in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

ok sure you can message me Christy )

0 Kudos
Deeplay
Dialled in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nodrogd thanks for the reply & info. I read about the new UI coming. Would this mean a new virgin box though or would the v6s get the upgrade anyway ?

I dont even remember what channels were removed from sky but know they added Sky Nature / Sky History and to be fair Sky Nature is superb

0 Kudos
niktheguru
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hey mate,

I'm going the other way. I currently have the ultimate oomph package but am removing the TV and going back to sky.

In my opinion sky q is miles ahead of virgin. I used to have virgin in 2012 when they just introduced tivo, and at that time the interface felt revolutionary. The problem is now virgin is totally out of date. Yes, there is the horizon upgrade coming, but no one knows when its coming, its been talked about for about 2 years and still no clear dates or recent preview.

The main problems I have with virgin tv are:

1. No HD on catchup services from ITV, channel 4, channel 5.....the fact these are all in SD is rubbish. (and no, saying you should record the programmes in advance is not a good enough alternative) Sky offer these all in HD. In this day and age offering SD for catchup is unacceptable.

2. Catchup and box sets are always streamed to the box and not saved to the box. Sky q downloads catchup and box sets to your box, so then its downloaded and you can watch to your hearts content with minimal lag and forever. With virgin its streamed every time, makes it slow to fast forward and a general pain. They can also remove the show whenever they want.

3. The general interface on virgin is slow and laggy. No pictures on recordings, just a text interface.

4. Lack of 4k/HDR content. (yes there is one ultra hd channel that works in the evenings but that is it. They are due to get sky content (sports and movies) in 2020, but still yet to see it offered.)

The main benefits of virgin TV

1. BT sport included at a fraction of the cost. There is no way you will get a competitive price compared with sky for bt sport compared to virgin.

2.  Good additional on demand content not available on sky such as pluto tv.

3. blue button to go straight to an HD channel if you are watching the SD equivalent

I will miss the BT sport being in the package, but wont miss much else about virgin tv. Shame, as the broadband has been excellent, like you said.

DebB
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

We left Virgin for Sky Q last year as we used to have Sky and the deal was great, however after a few weeks none of us could bear SkyQ anymore and cancelled before the month was up and came back to Virgin! For us Virgin V6 has got a lot better while Sky Q is bloody awful in comparison, plus even with the super fast Sky internet it was woeful compared to Virgin 350 , especially in a household of two teenage daughters:) add to that if you want help it’s much easier to talk to someone at Virgin although I have to say that seems to be changing

stick with Virgin is my vote....

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The new Virgin TV setup is now being trialled & anyone can apply to join if they are interested:

https://www.virginmedia.com/offers/befirst 

In my personal opinion as a multi box household I find that the new TV product is more aligned with SkyQ (central box storage on which the minis are dependant). Sky provides a 2TB storage box for UHD. The modified boxes Virgin are rumoured to be using only have 1TB, so if you have a big household making lots of recordings you may not have much space.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Deeplay
Dialled in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

If I could get a new Virgin box that they are to be offereing in the future I would switch back today. Have put my name forward but as im only on broadband and not currently a virgin TV customer they probably wont even consider it.

I dont want to switch back and then be stuck on an outdated V6 when all new account holders would get the latest tech ...

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

If you're a fan of Sky Atlantic, think again about moving away from Sky.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos