Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thinking of Joining

Hi Everyone.

I'm currently a Virgin Media internet user, (can't really fault it) and have been a Virgin Media TV user in the past. I had the old Tivo service and grew very fed up with the speed of the box. Navigating menus and changing channels was extremely sluggish due to the low spec of the device and bloated software. Since then I moved to Sky Q for my TV and on the whole have been impressed with the quality of the device in terms of speed. With that said, I have the dreaded download queued problem for on-demand services. Sky came out and swapped the box but this did not help and it has been determined that the issue is a result of a software problem which they are working towards fixing. (Some day in the far distant future). As a result of this, I am considering a switch back to Virgin Media for my TV and I was wondering if any progress has been made with performance with the introduction of the V6 box? I've not been able to find any hardware comparisons yet and thought it would be great to get some feedback from people who actually use it.

Thanks guys.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Thinking of Joining

VOD is streamed by VM rather than downloaded as you are accustomed. I occasionally use VOD and it works well. The other thing is broadcaster catch-up such as BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub which are delivered via apps, these also work well.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

How do you find general usage on the V6 box such as navigating menus and channel hopping etc? Is there much improvement over the old Tivo boxes?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There are four main differences.

1. The TiVo has legacy connections such as SCART, very useful to copy TV shows to DVD recorders but not on the V6.

2. The TiVo has a built-in DOCSIS modem with a 10Mbps network connection but the V6, like modern STBs, relies instead on the connection to the hub for things like running apps, updating EPGs and sending VOD remote controls signals. People whose hub is in a different room to the V6 sometimes have connection problems as they rely on WiFi or homeplugs instead of Ethernet cable for the connection to the hub.

3. The TiVo's apps such as BBC iPlayer run sluggishly compared with the V6. And speaking of apps, the forthcoming Amazon Prime this summer will only be available on the V6.

4. The V6 supports 4K. Admittedly content is limited but you've got it from sources such Netflix, YouTube, BT Sport Ultra HD, BBC iPlayer (like Wimbledon right now) and Eurosport (the recent French Open).

In summary, I've found the V6 to be greatly superior to the TiVo with the exception that I do miss the SCART connection.

--
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I see. So the V6 uses your normal internet bandwidth as opposed to a separate fiber connection as before? I'm now wondering how my UTM is going to handle this as I run in modem only mode.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's not a problem as the minimum M50 package is more than enough for Netflix which recommends 5Mbps for HD and 25Mbps for UHD quality. If you have a household which downloads like crazy, go for a faster package.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds

--
0 Kudos