Menu
richardwilson1
Joining in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

The display of '888' on transmission of BBC1 (or recordings from) via V6 box

It seems that this display is linked to sub-titles, it displays but when sub-titles are displayed, the 888 disappears.

Looks like a fault with transmission, but why only BBC ??

0 Kudos
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: The display of '888' on transmission of BBC1 (or recordings from) via V6 box

888 is a reference to analogue subtitles rather than digital subtitles provided by Virgin, are subtitles enabled via the V6 itself rather than via your TV? This does seem to have been happening more recently however. 

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: The display of '888' on transmission of BBC1 (or recordings from) via V6 box

Sky users are reporting it too on BBC1 only - '888' appearing in corner of screen.  I can't get it.

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos
mickbaker13
Tuning in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Has anyone found a way to remove this problem - it's driving me mad!

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

The Sky forums are reporting this.  It seems it is the BBC sending something out which mainly Sony tvs are picking up and displaying 888. It relates to the old teletext service. (888 FLASHES ON SCREEN (IN BOX IN TOR RIGHT HAND CORNER) )

It is generated by the tv - does pressing SUB(titles) on the television remote stop them?

VirginMedia discussion is Subtitles on BBC flashing 888 up in the corner 

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos
mickbaker13
Tuning in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ozsat, thanks a lot for this.  My TV is an LG so the problem is wider than just Sony sets. I will try your suggestion of using the TV remote to stop them. I have also put in a complaint to the BBC as advised by their technical helpline since the helpline only deals with Freeview and not cable or satellite reception. 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@mickbaker13 wrote:

Hi Ozsat, thanks a lot for this.  My TV is an LG so the problem is wider than just Sony sets. I will try your suggestion of using the TV remote to stop them. I have also put in a complaint to the BBC as advised by their technical helpline since the helpline only deals with Freeview and not cable or satellite reception. 

A lot of newer Sony TVs now have LG Display technology used in them, so the two may be linked:

https://www.theverge.com/ces/2017/1/10/14222986/sony-bravia-oled-lg-display-ces-2017 

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

mickbaker13
Tuning in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I got a very quick response from the BBC saying the following:

Thank you for letting us know, and we must admit this puzzled us as it was very intermittent and not always visible.

After some long and complex investigations, this appears to be in the broadcast chain, rather than your receiver, specifically affecting only BBC One London SD, and BBC Two England SD on Sky and Virgin.

All HD, DTT and Freesat are all unaffected.

Now we know what’s causing it, we’ll try and fix the issue although this may take a while, so please bear with us whilst we attempt to rectify this frustrating problem.

Hopefully it will not be too long.

Ropy
Up to speed
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

It'd not intermittent.  

The 888 appears when V6 box subtitles are switched on, but there is no dialogue for about 10 seconds, that is, no subtitles are being generated.

If there is no dialogue for an extended time the 888 flashes every 10 seconds. Very distracting.

This usually happens during credits and the beginning or end of a program.

I would imagine that the 888 would be consistently apparent if there is a BBC program that doesn't have subtitles, but subtitles are enabled on the V6 box

I haven't been able  to prove  this though.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@Ropy wrote:

It'd not intermittent.  

The 888 appears when V6 box subtitles are switched on, but there is no dialogue for about 10 seconds, that is, no subtitles are being generated.

If there is no dialogue for an extended time the 888 flashes every 10 seconds. Very distracting.

This usually happens during credits and the beginning or end of a program.

I would imagine that the 888 would be consistently apparent if there is a BBC program that doesn't have subtitles, but subtitles are enabled on the V6 box

I haven't been able  to prove  this though.

This is a BBC problem & the tag being sent out with the programme needs to be blocked. It is not the V6 box producing the display, but the TVs Teletext decoder. On most TVs there is no link to the internal digital tuner from the decoder, which explains why it does not appear on Freeview. On some sets there is still a link via SCART & HDMI as in some countries Teletext services were carried on Satellite until recently. When the BBC can work out how to remove the tag it will stop the TVs decoder from triggering.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks