cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary Relocation/"Moving" Home

TikTak
On our wavelength

Hi all,

Not sure if there is an answer to this anywhere but couldn't find anything more than a "maybe". 

Long story short, I'm having some work done on my house and will move out for a couple weeks and go back to my parents. They have Virgin Media too (actually a far superior package to myself) with 2 V6 boxes. 

I have quite a bit recorded on mine and ultimately would like to watch that stuff. 

If I take it with me and plug it in to where the 2nd box at my parents is, will it work, and is there any question marks/legalities on doing this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The simple answer is that VMs T&Cs only allow you to use your kit at the registered address. When V6 boxes reboot they connect with VMs authentication servers to check that they are still authorised. Part of that checking process includes which optical street node the box is connected to. So if you boot on a connection that is on a different optical node the boot attempt will fail & the box will then have to be re-authorised by customer services.

Unless you have intimate knowledge of where the network segments start & end in the areas concerned you will have no way of knowing whether you parents are in another segment or not. For instance I could plug my box in to any connection to the west of me for up to 1/2 a mile away & they will still work as they are on the same node. However if I went to a house at the other end of my own road 200 yards away they are on a different node & my box would immediately be disabled.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How far away from your parents do you live? Please don't post the complete postcodes, but what's the first part of both postcodes?

In the meantime, my fellow VIP @nodrogd may have some thoughts on this scenario, think they've had dealings in the past. Hope they don't mind the page.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The simple answer is that VMs T&Cs only allow you to use your kit at the registered address. When V6 boxes reboot they connect with VMs authentication servers to check that they are still authorised. Part of that checking process includes which optical street node the box is connected to. So if you boot on a connection that is on a different optical node the boot attempt will fail & the box will then have to be re-authorised by customer services.

Unless you have intimate knowledge of where the network segments start & end in the areas concerned you will have no way of knowing whether you parents are in another segment or not. For instance I could plug my box in to any connection to the west of me for up to 1/2 a mile away & they will still work as they are on the same node. However if I went to a house at the other end of my own road 200 yards away they are on a different node & my box would immediately be disabled.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi TikTak,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

As explained the box would only relatively work at the property it is assigned to.

Regarding the recorded programmes, are you able to watch them on TVGo at all?

Regards,

Kain

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Depending which channel the recordings are from, TV Control may suit - download them whilst at home, then view the download away from home.

TikTak
On our wavelength

Thanks all for the replies, slightly annoying but unfortunately I thought this would be the case, and makes sense. Postcodes are KT12 and TW10. 

I've not really used TVGo but will take a look at that and see if I can get anything out of it. 👍

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TikTak wrote:

Thanks all for the replies, slightly annoying but unfortunately I thought this would be the case, and makes sense. Postcodes are KT12 and TW10. 

That would be a definite no, as they are in different cable franchise areas.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

It's perfectly fine to try and use your box at another premise and in some cases it will work. One reason why it might not work is that authentication is done at the hub site which has the account information and serial number of the box, and moving your box to the network of a different hub site will cause Service Authorisation to fail. Apart from a few geeks nobody knows which hub site their kit is connected to (mine is Hayes) let alone the boundaries of the networks of the hub sites.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection