Menu
Robburns
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

TV rebooting itself and now stuck on Starting up

Had this tivo 6 box now for nearly 3 years.  For the last 9 months the box has started to reset itself for no reason which was an inconvenience but after 5 mins or so Id have tv back.  Then recently it started to take upwards of 15 minutes to restart.  Have spoken to numerous Tech people and no help whatsoever.  Tonight right in the middle of Emmerdale it did it again and now it wont even get past starting up.  An hour on hold to be spoken to by an engineer as if I was a child.  He had me turn the system off so he could run a test and then when I asked what it had identified he said nothing so I asked what is causing this he said its a weak signal from the box.  Sure I could accept that but that wouldnt stop the system restarting.  So he organises an engineer.  First available is a day when I am not available and the next is 2 days later so I now have 4 days without a TV.  Does anyone have any idea as to what I can do to get TV up short of connecting my laptop and watching a very poor quality oic through virgin go

Rob

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TV rebooting itself and now stuck on Starting up

@Robburns wrote:

Had this tivo 6 box now for nearly 3 years.  For the last 9 months the box has started to reset itself for no reason which was an inconvenience but after 5 mins or so Id have tv back

Did you call VM to report this, when it first started happening? It sounds like the box has been dying a death for about 9months, the early warning signs were missed, and now it's totally failed.

Unfortunately for yourself, I'd guess the first available appointment has been booked and using TV Go is probably the best way to go for now. There's 2 other things you can try..

1: If your TV has a Freeview decoder and an antenna connection, you could hook that up and get the Freeview channels - might be better than nothing for now.

2: Login to your "my Virgin Media" online account and goto the my-appointments section. Keep checking for cancelled appointments that may allow you to reshedule to an earlier timeslot.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Robburns
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV rebooting itself and now stuck on Starting up

Yes spoke to VM and yes the first available engineer is on a day that I am not available.  As with everything with Virgin tech speaking to people in another country they dont listen to you and follow their cue cards.  As soon as the screen starts again they say oh its sorted but alas no.  Its little things like this which spoile VM as a customer foccussed company.   They will be sorting it this time that is for sure.  I do have freeview but the control for the TV is lost.  Never thought id need it again lol  Oh well virgin go it is and thank the lord I have 2 laptops so I can do that lol

Thanks for the reply

Rob

0 Kudos