cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV picture gltches/pixellation.

shirleywhite
Dialled in

My TV picture has been suffering from glitches/pixellation for a few weeks now.  I checked on the service status page and ran the V6 box test - said no issues/good service etc.

I rang 150 a few days ago. We went through the check cables/reboot box routine. ( I had already swapped in a new hdmi lead).  The operative then said he was going to "rephase my V6 box".  ( whatever that means?)  He then said to " monitor for a few days".   Unfortunately the glitching problem is still happening.

Would be grateful for help in getting this sorted. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

I have no idea what rephasing is, but it sounds like a CS agent wanting you off the phone rather than doing what they should do, and arrange (most likely) a tech visit.

I'd recommend calling back to 150 and being firm that if the reboot isn't resolving, there's clearly an underlying fault that only "boots on the ground" is going to fix - there's nothing more can be done remotely with signal faults.

Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

I have no idea what rephasing is, but it sounds like a CS agent wanting you off the phone rather than doing what they should do, and arrange (most likely) a tech visit.

I'd recommend calling back to 150 and being firm that if the reboot isn't resolving, there's clearly an underlying fault that only "boots on the ground" is going to fix - there's nothing more can be done remotely with signal faults.

Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi shirleywhite, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry about the problems you've had with your TV service. I wasn't able to look into this using your forum details alone, if you get back to me via PM (the purple envelope) we'll do all we can to help from there.

Tom

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for your reply @shirleywhite. I've booked an engineer visit, you will find confirmation of the appointment via your online account (virg.in/myVM) and can reschedule from there if needed.

Please keep us posted with how that goes, or let us know if there's anything else we can help with. 

Tom 

Although my picture glitches seemed to have been sorted last October after an engineer visit they seem to have returned again!! Over the last week or so an occasional glitch has become a fairly frequent picture blip/glich/pixellate etc. Seems to be worst early evening - on most channels eg bbc1/2/skysports.
Could my signal levels etc be checked at your end please? And any further action needed advised.
Thanks.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are there any specific Sky Sports channels affected?

There's 9 of them - and are you viewing in SD or HD?

There may be a pattern that you don't realise - and specific individual channels might help identify. Otherwise the standard advice in my original reply stands still applies.

Hi japitts.
Appreciate your quick reply. The skysports channel we tend to watch most is the football (sd). That is glitching along with bbc1 and bbc2. The only pattern seems to be that all 3 of these channels seem to be worse from approx 5pm to say 7pm. Things generally seem to settle down then and we can maybe go for 30min/an hour or so with no blips at all.
Regards.

Hi there @shirleywhite

Thank you so much for popping back to the forums and I am so sorry to hear that this issue has reoccurred! 

It looks as though this will require an engineer to pop back over to take a look.

I will send you a PM now to arrange this, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of the screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you. 

Hello again, 

Thanks so much for your private message and confirming your address, I have now booked you a visit for your issue with your TV – you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Thank you.

Engineer visited this morning. He said signal levels were fine but that the pixellation was likely caused by loose connections. He checked the small brown box on my outside wall and the corresponding small white box on the inside wall. In both instances he said that there were connectors which just needed tightening up a wee bit. ( he slightly loosened one connector and the exact same pixellation started up)
I said I was surprised that connections inside those boxes could work loose (no moving parts!?) but he said "signal hum" producing tiny vibrations could make connections eventually work loose. So far the picture has been steady/solid but will monitor for a few days and hope my issues are fixed.
PS. The engineer did comment that the previous visit in October should perhaps have picked up and rectified this problem!!
Regards to all.