Menu
Highlighted
problemchild197
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

TV on line service struggling

I had an issue with my router constantly dropping connection - this has been semi fixed

now my online services are struggling 

iplayer 

catch up

on demand

youtube

I don’t think it’s wifi related as I was able to watch iplayer on the smart tv 

help

given the price is going up yet again it’s getting hard work justifying staying with virgin

JJ 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV on line service struggling

Sounds like it may be related to the wifi connection. As you are in the V6 forum....
You have 3 options
1) Connect the V6's (permanently) to the Hub by Cat6 cable (best)
2) Improve your wifi signal at the location of the V6's (get a wireless access point?)
3) Use a pair of powerline adapters to connect them (if your house circuitry is suitable)

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
problemchild197
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Option 1 - not possible as I have 3 x v6 boxes at each corner of the house and the router is top floor in the middle 

Option 2 - WiFi strength and signal quality is pretty good with speeds of up to 200mbs showing. The tv works with iPlayer but the v6 box underneath the tv can’t work iPlayer to the same ability.

Option 3 - I’ve had powerline adapters. It’s a modern house but upstairs has router and 1 x v6 on 1 ring and downstairs with 2 x v6 is on another ring so they drop out all the time .

The systems drop out randomly like the WiFi used to

Do the on demand services not work down the cable rather than over the WiFi ??

JJ

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi problemchild197,

The On Demand services require an internet connection to function, the V6 doesn't have a built in modem to handle this so relies on your hub connection for this service.

In regards to option 2, when you mention 200mbps speeds showing, what method are you using to test this? Have you been able to run a WiFi speed test near to you V6 so you can see what kind of connection they're getting?

I'd also recommend using the Connect app to check your connection quality in each room of the house.

From what you also advised your V6 is underneath the TV, are you able to expand on how it is situated? As if it is in a fairly enclosed shelf this may also partially restrict the signal.

Thanks,

Tom_S

happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

One of my V6 boxes is starting to go wrong - I've had it installed 3 weeks. Will book an engineer but wanted to just share on here.

It keeps freezing, takes ages to actually play anything on demand - and when I recorded a film which was not available on demand it said part recorded and then wouldn't play it- but I know there was no interruption to the box as I was watching something else at the same time.

It's sat right on top of the SH3 so wifi is not a problem - i've also used a short ethernet cable too and I still get the same. This is on things like sky cinema so coming down the line and not wifi related (as thats only for on demand content from third party services? - or so the engineer told me)

The other box which is in a room about 25M away has no issues at all.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@happywithmy350 Have you tried the "Connect to the Virgin Media TV service now?" option in the network settings? As selecting this manually should also display the status of your connection to our services.

As you've advised it appears to be an issue with live TV services have you been able to ensure the cabling for the box affected is all tightly connected?

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom ( sorry the alert thing didn't work for me)

The connections have not been touched since the install - the box says Mode Infrastructure and connected to 5GHz at 1300Mbps and service status connected - so it's clearly not a problem there. I do often get issues where the box won't turn off - it just stays on white and then I have to power cycle it - I then get something about updating software which lasts for over an hour - had that 3 times in the last week. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Have you been able to try a reset of the box? You can either do this via settings. Reset Your Virgin TV Box

Or do this physically via buttons on the TV Box, hold the + and standby buttons together and then turn the box on, wait till you see the welcome screen.

As your additional information points to a potential box issue, I'd recommend doing this first to rule out a software issue, if you can, watch any recordings on the box as if it needs an engineer to replace then you would lose these recordings either way.

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

okay thanks I will do that later and call if I still have a problem.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

No problem, let us know if it helps, and if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos