Menu
ronthemg
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

TV flashing picture and sound on startup

Hi we had our new Virgin service installed only around 6 months ago and had these issues straight away resulting on most of the installed items and leads replaced including the V6 box. All seemed ok for a while then around 2 months ago the problem returned and now the picture and sound flashes every time the tv/V6 box is turned on and takes several minutes to stop after which its seems fine (until we turn it off again that is). Strangely our tv works perfectly well on the live tv mode, its just the Virgin that's the issue. I've spent god knows how many hours trying to contact customer services but not been able to talk to anyone. We had Sky before and apart from being more expensive and poor service we had no issues regarding the picture/sound.

Really considering maybe going back to them when the contract ends in June. Shame as I was really looking forward to a better service all round from Virgin.  

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV flashing picture and sound on startup

Good afternoon @ronthemg 

Thank you for your post.  Are you able to let me know if you have tried a different HDMI cable? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
ronthemg
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Yes we changed the HDMI lead twice and the guy that came out couldn't find the issue. He suspected it was a boot up problem with the V6 box so changed that and it did seem ok for about a month then it started again. Our TV is an LG and only about 4 years old and connected to a brand new Virgin Media system in the road so I'm disappointed that this problem has occurred. My TV works completely well when not using V/M another issue is that the sound in almost always out of sync with the picture with is again very annoying. I just need to get it sorted but cant seem to talk to anyone.   

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Is this affecting any particular channels?

What's your V6 power saving set to? Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Devices > Power saving

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ronthemg
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Thank you for your help

It affects ALL channels from V/M and yes we have tried changing HDMI cables but no different. I timed it today and it flashed on and off with no sound for over 5 minutes before the picture stabilised and the sound came on. really very annoying if you don't remember to switch it on well before you need to watch something.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Regards  

0 Kudos
ronthemg
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The V6 box is in ALWAYS ON power setting.
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

If your power-saving is "always on", then can you elaborate on why you're having to switch it on?

It should be, by defintion, always on...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
ronthemg
Joining in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi

We understood that you always turned virgin box off onto standby when we turned tv off. Are you saying the V6 box should be left on continuously (showing white light) 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Fair question!

So the power-saving serves to put the box into standby (red/amber light) after a period of inactivity if you've not done it by pressing standby If you leave the box in white-light-on, and power-saving is "always on", it won't go into standby.

It sounds like you've got this setting, but are using standby overnight - have I understood correctly?

I was suspecting from your previous post that you were powering the box off at the mains each night, and was going to wade in with a "that's a bad idea" type post 🙂

0 Kudos
ronthemg
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

No I never turn power to the box off I just use the green power button on the remote to turn off tv and turn the v6 box light from white to red. Am I doing something wrong

Regards

0 Kudos