Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

TV dropping signal sporadically but just for 1 second

TV dropping signal sporadically but just for 1 second

I have had a problem for a few months where the tv has no signal flashing off for a couple of seconds then back on again. It is intermittent and can be fine for hours and then does it  a few times over an hour.

I am fed up of ringing up about this. The TV is new and I have no problems when watching on satellite on the same TV. I have replaced the HDMI cable again no change.

I am now out of contract and thinking of going with Sky so Virgin moderators some help please!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV dropping signal sporadically but just for 1 second

As you are on the V6 forum I assume you mean watching TV via that (just asking as you say you also have satellite TV?)
So, how have you got the V6 connected to your Hub?
Is the TV a 4K on ans so is the HDMI cable high speed specced for 4K?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi John thanks for replying
My V6 box is connected by Coaxial Cable to the Virgin point in the house (1 metre away)
V6 box to TV by HDMI cable (This is my problem watching TV live or when taping live TV)
I have no problem when watching TV on demand via wifi.

I am only watching TV in 1080 standard HD. ( I swapped cables and TV connection points but still same problem)

I also have free sat and when watching through this never any problems.

Help needed please!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So how have you got the V6 connected to the Hub - ethernet cable or wifi?
What does it "report" about that connection when you press Home>Help>Settings>Network>connection details ?

Do you have another TV you can put on the V6 (with a new HDMI cable) ans see if the fault persists. If it doesnt it would be a fault on the first TV not the V6. If it does it says there IS an issue on the V6 when connecting by HDMI to TV.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi John in answer to your question and thanks for responding

"So how have you got the V6 connected to the Hub - ethernet cable or wifi?"
What does it "report" about that connection when you press Home>Help>Settings>Network>connection details ?

The V6 box for live TV is via Virgin COAX RF (this is my problem)

My setup
My V6 box is connected by Coaxial Cable to the Virgin point in the house (1 metre away)
V6 box to TV by HDMI cable (This is my problem watching TV live or when taping live TV)
I have no problem when watching TV on demand via wifi.
This from a router located upstairs showing an actual speed of 226 mbs with good signal strength at location of V6 box
I am only watching TV in 1080 standard HD. ( I swapped cables and TV connection points but still same problem)
I also have free sat and when watching through this never any problems.

I can go hours before I have the problem too. so it is intermittent.

Previously when I had this problem before receiving the V6 box. I would call and they would do something their end to giving me a stronger signal. Fault would disappear for about 10 days then back to square one, I am just fed up  with reporting it and need a solution from Virgin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So your V6 is connecting to the Hub over wifi. This could be the cause of your issues as wifi signals can be interrupted by external interference and drop out and then reconnect. Also if you have a Hub3 (do you? - model is printed on its base sticker/card) it broadcasts a single SSID and normally has "channel optimisation" activated - which again can lead to band or channel hopping and drop outs.

So, say what Hub model you have and (if a Hub3) I can give you some instructions on how to change these things to see if it sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This is not a WiFi issue, more likely a faulty V6 or a network problem. VM needs to send round a technician.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Same problem for me too, the Virgin line tests tell me all is ok.

Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

This is not a WiFi issue, more likely a faulty V6 or a network problem. VM needs to send round a technician.

Good spot Roger I "missed" the bit where they said watching catch up etc was OK.  As well as your two likely options it could be an issue with the firmware on the TV - I had a similar issue (sound drop out) on my Samsung TV a couple of years ago, that was ultimately fixed by the Sammy help line.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks that seems the  Virgin Network problem looks the most likely as they changed my old box for a V6 box the last time I rang them with same problem.

It is annoying as it seems they can usually resolve it at their end by adjusting the strength of the signal to my box. But I should not have to keep calling them with same issue every few weeks.

Thank you everyone for replying. I was hoping  that Virgin people themselves might respond with some help!

0 Kudos