cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV channels are pixelated or have bands of colour

Tracy13
Tuning in

Since last night, my tv has had lines running through the picture or bands of different colour running vertically up the screen. This is happening on most channels, apart from TCM currently, and includes HD and non-HD channels. 

I have tried phoning Virgin but am on the phone for over half an hour and then have to give up to go back to work. This is not acceptable and I have tried all the suggestions on previous forums of turning everything off and back again.

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pixellated pictures are often the sign of a signal fault, but you've also mentioned bands of colour - this can be an HDMI fault.

To cover both bases - can you post a picture of the problem and add it to this thread? And also try another HDMI lead/port on your TV - to rule that out.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for this. Since returning home this evening, the TV has righted itself - for the time being at least.

It has started again. Really bad on BBC 2, itv and channel 4. I can't attach a photo as it is too big.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well the stock answer to all pixellation queries is thus... (although I'd still associate "bands of colour" with being an HDMI fault - so try a new cable and/or port on your TV)

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thank you for your help. I only wish I could show the photo of a kaleidoscope of colours and silver patches. I suppose breaking up picture is better than pixelated but it is hard to describe. 

Will get an HDMI cable from work and try it. Only have one TV and don't want to buy another cable if it is not that.

Hi 

This is what the tv screen looks like on bbc 2, itv, channel 4. It is not as bad as this on other channels.tv photo.jpg

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be interesting to know if this is on the SD or HD versions of ITV & C4, but it won't alter the advice.

Try another HDMI lead, and make sure the box has been restarted. If both fail to resolve, call into faults as per my previous post - or wait here for staff to respond. If you want to get it resolved via this forum, best not to add too many more replies otherwise this thread may drop down the staff queue.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Tracy13, 

Thank you for your post, I am sorry you are having issues with pixelation, as advised by @japitts have you switched the HDMI over?

I have managed to locate your account and can see there is some issue so will pop you over a message 🙂 

Zoie

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for messaging with me Tracy13, 

I am glad to hear, your service is looking better after an outage was resolved.

Please keep us posted.

Zoie