cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV + Broadband only packages? (no phone required)

VMSKYGuy
Joining in

Is it possible to get a TV + Broadband only package?

My elderly parents are currently on a dated 'MixTV' package, TV only costing £35 per month on an old TIVO500 box i think.  They have BT landline (and wont change that.... lets not go there) so loking to upgrade the Virgin Box and get more channels but most packages seem to be including  / must take a phone deal?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I believe it is, but the multibuy discount that a landline attracts, often more than offsets the cost of that line and so the price is often cheaper with a landline than without. No-one is forcing you to use the landline if you don't want to.

Be very aware of the differences between V6 & TV360 if you look to update the TV box. TV360 is what new customers get without choice, but is optional for existing TiVo customers. A V6 runs the same software as your parents' TiVo but on the same box as TV360, which is much newer and quicker.

The differences are substantial, but VM sales staff will push your parents towards a TV360 without hesitation. Do your research into TV360 and decide whether it's likely to suit your parents - if not, insist on a V6.

Also check over which channels your parents watch - TV packages now come with either basic Mixit or top-tier Maxhttps://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit/tips-and-tricks/virgin-tv-channel-guide it, "personal picks" can be added to blur the middle ground. All details on the chart at the bottom of

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I believe it is, but the multibuy discount that a landline attracts, often more than offsets the cost of that line and so the price is often cheaper with a landline than without. No-one is forcing you to use the landline if you don't want to.

Be very aware of the differences between V6 & TV360 if you look to update the TV box. TV360 is what new customers get without choice, but is optional for existing TiVo customers. A V6 runs the same software as your parents' TiVo but on the same box as TV360, which is much newer and quicker.

The differences are substantial, but VM sales staff will push your parents towards a TV360 without hesitation. Do your research into TV360 and decide whether it's likely to suit your parents - if not, insist on a V6.

Also check over which channels your parents watch - TV packages now come with either basic Mixit or top-tier Maxhttps://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit/tips-and-tricks/virgin-tv-channel-guide it, "personal picks" can be added to blur the middle ground. All details on the chart at the bottom of

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for the response and details on the differences between the boxes.. i'll look into that.    Dumb question regarding the phone package from Virgin... does that use the Virgin fibre connection or does it come via the existing landline connection (ie would it need to use the current BT line?). 

The main reason they want to keep BT line is they want to keep the same number they have had for 50+ years... even though I have told them they can move it over they have heard of friends where this didn't happen and they lost the number (I think in those situations the people cancelled the BT contract before the number ported. Anyway, I have tried to persuade them to no avail).

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

New landline installs now use the hub-based "IP" phones as a matter of course. There's a phone socket on the back of the router.

So nothing would stop your parents having a new line installed and running in parallel - if that is cheaper than not doing so.

I think you should investigate whether VM's Stream (requires VM's broadband) is more suitable than a V6 or a 360 as it has a bunch of Freeview channels and major apps, some major differences are that Stream users are on a monthly contract, pay a one-time activation fee of £35 to get it and the only extras are subscriptions for what they want, e.g. Netflix, but there is no recording facility.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection