cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TNT Sports removal from Mixit TV - no notice?

arrgee1991
Problem sorter

Why was there no notice nor any item on virginmedia.com about this?

I only have mixit TV because of TNT Sports, yet all of a sudden if I make any changes before my contract ends in December, I will lose it.  Surely this change is important enough to notify customers.  It may be bad news, but it needs to be clarified exactly what changes will force a change of package as it won’t be reversible.

IMG_0245.jpeg

10 REPLIES 10

arrgee1991
Problem sorter

With the changes to TNT Sport no longer on mixit TV, will it be possible to change from v6 box to the streaming service when my contract ends?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TNT Sports is still on Maxit TV unless you make changes to your contract. At that point it is replaced by Mega TV, which no longer contains TNT.

At your change of contract, yes, you can drop the broadcast TV service in favour of the stream box. Stream is usually cheaper, but you have to balance that with the discount you lose by dropping the TV service, as Stream is seen as a Broadband add-on.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

And to add, this feeds into the popular misconception that contracts end - that only happens as and when you explicitly give disconnection notice.

You have a rolling contract with a minimum term, this "commitment period" (as some operators call it) often tallies with a discount promotion - but does not mean you lose service at the anniversary date, which is what would happen when a contract ends.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

arrgee1991
Problem sorter

"TNT Sports is still on Maxit TV unless you make changes to your contract. At that point it is replaced by Mega TV, which no longer contains TNT."

Is there a web page on virginmedia.com providing this information?  Would removing Sky Sports in isolation cause a change in package?

Also TNT is £10/month on stream rather than £18/month on TV.

As far as I am concerned the contract ends at that date and I will give the necessary notice.

"You have a rolling contract with a minimum term, this "commitment period" (as some operators call it) often tallies with a discount promotion - but does not mean you lose service at the anniversary date, which is what would happen when a contract ends"

I guess that theoretically that if I never made any changes, I would keep mixit TV forever. But then according to my contract I would be paying over £100/month rather than just over £60/month.   

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

VM's Stream is not like Sky's Stream, so you'll lose recording facility by moving to Stream.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Any contract that ends on a particular date doesn't need notice being given - that's the point between fixed-term contracts & rolling ones. It's a semantic argument for sure, but an important one. You also keep referring to Mixit, this is the (broadly Freeview equivalent) base tier, on which BT/TNT Sports has always been a premium add-on. It is Maxit which has now been ringfenced and replaced with Mega. VM's marketing names really don't help here!

But yes - the vast majority of customers will have a discount period that correlates to the minimum term. When the discount drops off, full price kicks in and this is what VM's business model is largely based around.

"You also keep referring to Mixit"

Apologies.  However, was there any notification anywhere on the virgin website of this?

Recording is useful, but a hard disk in the back of my TV covers all the freeview channels, I will watch Sky Sports on Now TV with a 30 minute pause, so only with TNT sports will I have to listen to the half time chat.  However £10/month is cheaper than £18/month.