Menu
Dorset_Bloke_17
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

TLC HD pixelated

For the last two weeks or more, TLC HD (Channel 167) has been pixelated to the point of being totally unwatchable. TLC HD 167 is the only channel effected, all other TV channels seem fine!

Strangely, the hugely pixelated image on 167, appears to be a mixture of TLC and another TV channel.

I've tried power cycling the V6 box to no avail.

If technical staff monitor this, I am in a full fibre area near Bournemouth.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: TLC HD pixelated

If a reboot has failed to resolve, then picture breakup is almost certainly indicative of a signal fault somewhere - which will only be resolved when the underlying fault is fixed. This could be a faulty box tuner, it could be a cabling problem, VM can determine this once they investigate.

You need to report this to TV Faults (150 or 0345 4541111), VM can do some diagnostics remotely before deciding whether to task an engineer visit or replace your box.

In the meantime, and dependent on your package, check the following channels if possible: Sky Sports Cricket HD, Sky Family HD, Sky Comedy HD, Cartoon Network HD, Eurosport 2 HD, Sony TV HD. If any of these also have problems, that all but confirms a signal issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Dorset_Bloke_17
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Eurosport 2 HD is also very badly effected, distortion looks just like that on TLC HD. I don't think my package covers the other channels you mention, so I cannot report on them, sorry.

I assume this means an issue in the VM signal mixing/manipulation at source, or repeater circuits failing in my locality

Many thanks for your help in trying to resolve this.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No problem. All those channels are carried on the same broadcast frequency, so that proves that almost certainly your fault is a signal issue. Either in your box or a cabling fault. Unlikely to be further up the chain than your street cabinet else everyone on that cabinet would be affected. Conversely quite likely to be on equipment only serving you, so as with many pixellation faults - unless you report it, it won't get any better.

TV Faults on 150 or 0345 4541111 should be your next step.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Good Morning @Dorset_Bloke_17 

Welcome to the forums, Thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am going to drop you a PM so that I can get some additional account information. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Dorset_Bloke_17
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have managed to fix this................

Looking at the pixelated picture, whilst gently wiggling the RF input cable, where it plugs into the back of the V6 box the picture returned (and on the other effected channels ie Euro Sport 2 HD).

It is strange that only one picture multiplex was effected, but as a former electronics designer of far too many years than I care to remember, I guess its a strange signal interaction, or reflection, in the underlying analogue signals. It is after all an "Analogue World" below all the 0's and 1's that travel around the networks.

Thanks to all the people who helped, by listing the channels on the relevant multiplex, made my brain work again!

0 Kudos