forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
ERutherford
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TIVO6 Box - Unactivated

I have an unactivated TIVO6 Box connected via wifi to my VM Hub3 BB router/modem and via cable to my Virgin Media TV feed.  This TIVO6 box was previously activated and is about 50% full of recordings.

I can access and watch these recording on my TV, connected via HDMI to the TIVO6 box.

If this box is (re)activated will these recordings be wiped from the internal HDD. The VM agent I spoke to thought they would be erased and couldn't understand how I was able to watch recordings on an unactivated box.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TIVO6 Box - Unactivated

If the Tivo was previously activated to your account, and your account includes a TV service, there shouldn't be a problem.

0 Kudos
ERutherford
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Using TIVO6 without connection to BB or WiFi

I have an unactivated TIVO6 box about 50% full of recordings.  Because it's not currently activated I can't record new shows or watch catch-up TV, of course.  If I disconnect it from the VM TV cable feed and from the VM Hub3 WiFi network can I still watch the existing recordings using the remote control?

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Using TIVO6 without connection to BB or WiFi

Is this V6 on your account and paid for? If so, get it activated.

If not, you need to send it back to Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ERutherford
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TIVO6 Box - Unactivated

Thanks for your quick reply, Jpeg1.  That sounds reasonable and is what I thought would happen as it was previously connected/activated to this account (BB/TV/Landline).

The complication in this case is that that this account was mistakenly disconnected and has only been partially restored after about 2 days on the phone.  The disconnection occurred because it's been mixed up with another BB only VM account I had elsewhere that's been closed and treated as being moved to my home. VM still haven't added the TV yet and though they have now added the Landline it has a new phone number!  VM are expecting to restore my previous number within the next 10 days.

So I am wary of just asking them to reactivate the Original TIVO 6 box to the original account number in case that geos wrong in some unexpected way.

0 Kudos
ERutherford
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your message, Ernie_C. You're quite right about the issue of paying for the box. It's supposed to be part of the current deal and what I haven't previously explained is that VM have agreed that adding the TV to the bundle and reactivating this box would not incur any further charge.

However, I've also asked VM about getting a new TIVO6 box (£35 apparently) and getting that activated to 'protect' the existing recordings on my current, original, box from unexpected erasure. Hence my later query about whether I could operate a TIVO6 box just for watching existing recordings independently of the VM network.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just bear in mind that the boxes are owned by Virgin and rented to customers. The £35 is a connection fee, not a sale. They may not want you to have two boxes unless you are paying for then both.

0 Kudos
ERutherford
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your further comment, jpeg1, that's something I missed which could be quite expensive!
0 Kudos