Menu
lennyv
Up to speed
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Subtitles are ON, but nothing visible on screen

I've noticed that sometimes when I use the subtitles button on the remote nothing seems to happen. But if I then press Info and go to the subtitles section it tells me that Subtitles are ON for this programme.

If I start by pressing Info then going to subtitles and pressing OK, the subtitles are always displayed.

Has anyone else seen this?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Subtitles are ON, but nothing visible on screen

If you leave the programme playing, and wait a minute or so, do subtitles then appear? (Slow on the uptake, perhaps?)

Is this affecting any particular channels?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Certainly seen thus as not all programs have subtitles also some adverts also don't have subtitles.

What channels and what programs are you trying this on ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
lennyv
Up to speed
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

If you leave the programme playing, and wait a minute or so, do subtitles then appear? (Slow on the uptake, perhaps?)

Is this affecting any particular channels?

I don't know how long I've waited tbh.  I probably just wait a few seconds before thinking "Oh, it's that subtitles problem, I need to go via info to get them" and turn them on that way. I don't know if there's a pattern where it's just some channels, or if it's only recordings.

0 Kudos
lennyv
Up to speed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

Certainly seen thus as not all programs have subtitles also some adverts also don't have subtitles.

What channels and what programs are you trying this on ?

Regards Mike

This is on programmes that do have subtitles. Nothing seems to happen if I try to turn subtitles on by using the subtitles button, but if I press info and turn subtitles on that way, then they appear.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you're able to identify any specific channels or programmes that this affects, it would greatly help both other users trying to assist, and any VM staff that might pick this post up.

It's a bit hard to really advise further when all we have to go on is "sometimes subtitles don't work"

0 Kudos
lennyv
Up to speed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well at this stage I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced something similar.
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That's fair enough - but no, there's a couple of channels that tend to be a bit "slow" with their subtitles now & again, but I've tried them earlier today and they're presently fine.

0 Kudos
lennyv
Up to speed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I did some testing and I think I figured out what's happening. It's not quite what I thought it was, and it's a bit of an edge-case that maybe only a strange person who watches programmes weirdly might find. I sometimes watch parts of programmes on the first fast forward speed (not quickplay) because you can still see subtitles at this speed. But it seems you have to put subtitles on first and then fast forward. So this works fine:

Start watching a recording (or rewind live TV a bit and press play)
Press 'subtitles' or use 'info' to switch subtitles on
Press fast forward once (>>)
Subtitles are still displayed
Press play or << subtitles should still be displayed
Press subtitles again to switch them off. All good.

This doesn't work:

Start watching a recording (or rewind live TV a bit and press play)
Press fast forward once (>>)
Press 'subtitles' or use 'info' to switch subtitles on

At this point, no subtitles are displayed, but the system thinks subtitles are on. And if you press play or << now, the subtitles still don't appear. Because the system has (correctly) set subtitles to be on, however, if you stop watching this recording and go to live TV, subtitles will be displayed.

So, like I said, it looks like it's not something that would trouble most people. I think technically it's a bug, but pfft... not one worth worrying about.