Menu
g0akc
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Stuttering on pause or rewind

We've started getting stuttering (picture and sound break up) if we pause or rewind live TV.  It's there with channels tried so far (BBC1 HD and BT Sport HD).

Playback of recordings seem OK.

V6 box.

If it were affecting recordings as well I'd suspect the box/hard drive, but this appears to be something else?

Anyone else seeing this?  Any ideas?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
g0akc
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Stuttering on pause or rewind

It seems worse sometimes than others. Also certain channels don't seem to be affected - e.g. Sky Sports Mix HD doesn't seem to suffer the problem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you have picture breakup issues that affect live TV viewing, that's often caused by signal issues. Reboot your box once, just to make sure.

If problems affect recorded programmes and/or paused & delayed TV, that indicates issues with your hard drive.

Signal issues can be investigated by an engineer visit, hard drive problems are only likely to get worse until the box completely fails.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
g0akc
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

If you have picture breakup issues that affect live TV viewing, that's often caused by signal issues. Reboot your box once, just to make sure.

If problems affect recorded programmes and/or paused & delayed TV, that indicates issues with your hard drive.

Signal issues can be investigated by an engineer visit, hard drive problems are only likely to get worse until the box completely fails.

Noted - we have had a few signal outages (total loss of channels and resulting fault codes) in the last few weeks but put those down to engineering works or general network issues - I've not noticed such for over a week.

Our Downstream power level is between +0.4 to +2.5 dBmV on each bonded channel - I gather the spec is -13 to +17 dBmV so it's in the middle of the recommended range if that's anything to go by.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@g0akc wrote:

@japitts wrote:

Noted - we have had a few signal outages (total loss of channels and resulting fault codes) in the last few weeks but put those down to engineering works or general network issues - I've not noticed such for over a week.

You can check for area faults anytime by calling 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported on there, then you have a fault that's not known about.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
g0akc
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It turned out that some, but not all, recent recordings were also affected.  I then also found some on demand content suffered with the stuttering too.

A reboot (power cycle) of the box seems to have sorted it out, for now at least.

The signal outages were a while ago but not reported on the website it seemed, although it likely affected other customers.

Thanks for the responses anyway.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@g0akc wrote:

The signal outages were a while ago but not reported on the website it seemed, although it likely affected other customers.

Signal faults, in nature, tend to be quite localised and the website status isn't much use for these.

Calling 0800 5610061 is much better in this situation, it often reports issues down to individual streets.

0 Kudos