Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Streaming between v6 boxes freezing

I hope someone can help me! My recordings keep freezing when I try to stream recorded shows from our living room v6 box to our bedroom v6 box. Does anyone know how we can fix this? Both boxes have the same serial number when I log into the virgin website so I can’t work out which has the problem. I’ve checked connections, etc. and they’re all fine. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Streaming between v6 boxes freezing

Do you get any error messages when you try to stream? That will be a good place to start.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No error message unfortunately. It just freezes every 30 seconds or so.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

How're both boxes connected to your home-hub?

On any WiFi connected boxes, what is the signal strength reported? Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and look in the top-right.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me! The box in our bedroom is wired to the router. The one in our living room is wireless and the signal strength was between 28-30%.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

With a signal strength of 28-30%, we have Eureka! I've heard of boxes struggling with a signal strength of 60% so I'm quite surprised it's even working!

If you were using the 5Ghz WiFi band, you could maybe get some improvements by forcing the 2.4Ghz for a range improvement, but I suspect you'll struggle to improve this to the degree you need.

Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you! You’ve been really helpful! 

Sorry to keep asking you questions! I’m not very IT-savvy! Do you know if this an issue with the wifi or the v6 box? They’re not too far from each other so the signal does seem particularly low. Do you think it’s an issue I should contact virgin media about directly?

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

About two-thirds down this page there's a useful diagram which explains some issues with in-home WiFi better than I ever could - Virgin supply you with a broadband connection to your router, and what happens to the WiFi signal beyond there, is not something VM can control (faulty equipment aside)

It sounds like the WiFi signal your V6 is receiving is simply too weak to reliably use, so what you do you mean by "not too far from each other", and do other devices using WiFi work in the same location?

Sidenote: That article mentions the 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz bands - the 2.4Ghz has better range, so there's a possibility that your V6 is attached to the 5Ghz and you may be able to improve things by forcing the 2.4Ghz instead.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me. Other devices work fine and this is a recent problem with the same equipment.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

There's been a software update to V6 boxes the past couple of months, and there were a couple of posts on here from other people who were using a V6 box over WiFi, and the reported signal strength dropped post-update. It certainly isn't a documented issue as best I'm aware, and there's very little you can do even if it was.

Have you tried swapping your boxes around, to put another box in the location where this V6 is having problems? If the WiFi signal in that location is indeed problematic, all the V6 boxes you put there will have the same issue - and the only fix will be to improve the WiFi there.

If another box works ok, then at least you know there's the issue, and you can decide on the best course of action for your circumstances.

0 Kudos