cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming From On Demand and Catchup

polly43
Up to speed

Anyone experiencing problems streaming shows lately?  Only I'm finding it's very hit or miss.  It's very convenient and saves recording stuff when streaming is available.  I can fill up my shows with whole series and then I find I get a message that the show is not available when I try to watch it.  Yet a little later on in the day it is.  How come?  It's not reliable so I find I'm back to recording again and filling up the disk on my V6 box.  Does anyone know why this happens?  I can stream an episode of something and be asked if I want to see the next episode.  If I don't have time, I decline and then find later that I can't watch that next episode, even though it is obviously available!  I can't understand it. 

10 REPLIES 10

polly43
Up to speed

It can't be that the box is old because I'm having the same issues with streaming and my V6 box is only a few months old!  I re-boot the box and sometimes it works, but it depends on which channel I'm streaming from: 5, UKTV Play, 4, Sky or whatever.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sky OnDemand uses VM's in-house IP-VOD system, not anything proprietry or app-based. If you're using a V6, the same applies for UK-TV-Play which is just branding on IP-VOD.

C4 & C5 use both IP-VOD and the broadcaster's branded apps.

With all this in mind, can you clarify what your issues are and whether they are with streaming apps or OnDemand programmes?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sorry Japitts, ...."With all this in mind,..etc.....".  I haven't the least idea what you're talking about I'm afraid.  It's all dobblededook to me.  I find I can stream OK today.  As I said, it's very hit or miss.  Sometimes it's OK and others it's not.  I was wondering if re-booting the actual router would help.  I was in the habit of turning off the router every night before bed and turning it back on in the morning.  I always did this (pulled the plug on everything) in the good old days before Virgin moved our phone to the Internet.  I have been leaving it on recently because hubby has been in hospital and we have had lots of phone calls from the likes of GPs and other support folks; some quite early in the morning.  I don't remember having problems with streaming before leaving the router on for so long without re-booting.  I shall try it tonight.  About the type of streaming I do, well it's not anything like Netflix or Prime. It's all from channels that I subscribe to through my Virgin TV Service.  This is why I feel miffed about it. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's usually better to start your own thread explaining your issues rather than add to someone else's, as I think you may have done originally.

If you're using VM's OnDemand service, then the source of the programme (i.e. which broadcaster) is immaterial, it's all delivered to your V6 the same way. The error codes or behaviour of the box when you try to view OnDemand, is the important bit.

What error codes/messages are you seeing when you have problems?

Edit: I've merged your other post back into this thread to keep the discussion in one place. And would add that recording will always be preferable to OnDemand/streaming, given a choice - better to have a programme recorded on your hard drive than rely on external sources.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Oh I quite agree it's far better to record and I always do with say, a series that I am really into.  But something I'm not sure about, I might add a whole series (if it's already been shown before of course) to My Shows, or get one or two episodes from On Demand.  I am finding that sometimes when I click on something I've added to My Shows, I get a message saying that this programme is not available and to try again later.  Sometimes I can get it from On Demand, but when it's like this, that's not often.  As I said, it's very temperamental.  Like yesterday, I couldn't stream anything, yet today it's fine.  I re-booted the V6 box but at first, that didn't help. Unless that's why it's OK today.  As I said, I was wondering if I rebooted the actual modem it would make a difference.  For instance, I find if I have a slow internet connection, that will fix it.  It's all very puzzling

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi polly43, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the community. 

We are very sorry to hear of the issues you have been experiencing with your OnDemand/Catch up service. 

Can you please confirm if your box is connected to the Hub via WiFi or an Ethernet cable?

If you have more than one box with us, does this problem occur on all of them?

Thanks, 

Nat

polly43
Up to speed

I'm not really sure.  There is no cable from my V6 box to my Router and the Router is upstairs with my PC anyway, whereas my TV and V6 box is downstairs.  So I'm guessing it's WiFi.  When I spoke about re-booting the router, I really meant unplugging the whole caboodle; including my PC.  I turn it all off most nights anyway as I'm really not happy leaving all my kit plugged in all of the time, as I am now expected to do now that my landline phone is on the Internet.  My PC monitor certainly didn't like it and had taken to dimming and going blank whilst I was using it.  It doesn't do it since I started unplugging everything each night. 

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

V6 updates are usually pushed through overnight, so leave it on standby with your hub on as well.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@polly43 wrote:

But something I'm not sure about, I might add a whole series (if it's already been shown before of course) to My Shows, or get one or two episodes from On Demand.  I am finding that sometimes when I click on something I've added to My Shows, I get a message saying that this programme is not available and to try again later.

I suspect you have a combination of issues here.

1: There is no reason for recordings to become unavailable unless they are from a channel that ceased broadcasting more than (usually) 6 months ago. So if you're getting an error playing back recordings, there should be an error code with it - what's that error code?

2: You may have a series link set for "recordings & streaming videos" - and it's picking up an OnDemand programme due to lack of recordings available. This creates a shortcut in your "My shows" view to the VoD asset which looks & feels like a recording by design, but is VoD. Again - if this fails to play, citing the error code would greatly assist in advising further.

I totally agree with the advice to leave your VM kit running 24/7/365 with power-saving, it's how they're designed - and powering them down each night will cause issues sooner or later.

The only other thing to check is the wireless signal strength your V6 is receiving. Follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and check in the top-right. A weak or unreliable wireless signal can easily cause issues with OnDemand & other internet-based services.