Menu
deans6571
Wise owl
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Strange Streaming app issue (Amazon Prime)?!

I don't normally use my V6 apps as I personally think they are quite poor when compared to the same apps on other connected devices (Smart TV, Apple TV, etc).

However, this week, I have been using Amazon Prime on the V6 to watch The Boys (which is only shown in HD).

My V6 Video Output settings were set to 2160p and the show streamed fine other than slight picture jerkiness which I am putting down to the poor apps on the V6.

The other day, I decided to change the Video Output settings to 2160p and both Passthrough options (2160p and 1080p Passthroughs). When I then played back another episode, the sound was out of sync with the on screen action by about half a second. That not sound like much but its VERY noticeable when characters are talking or there is a scene where someone knocks on a door - you see the knock and then half a second later you hear the knock??!

When I switched the Video Output settings back to just 2160p, this issue was no longer there.

Why would this happen - anybody have any thoughts?

chaoshusky
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Strange Streaming app issue (Amazon Prime)?!

That would be because you're accidentally making the box have to then down-scale the signal it would seem! This would cause sync and stuttering issues if not in native 4K. This could also indicate a lower quality HDMI cable (the one provided with the box isn't the best - but don't overpay for them! Unless you're using your own cable?) or could be due to an AV amp with HDMI switch, if you have one? I don't use the V6 box apps either, as i have my PC connected to my TV, so tend to use my browser (Firefox)!

Don't forget, the V6 box does have an analog AV/Scart output port on the back, which needs an adapter. So the box will have to use extra processing power just to scale the signal for this as well. If your video is native 4K, leave it set to 4K - the box will automatically show you 1080p content slightly up-scaled to 4K if your TV's native resolution is 4K - some TVs still send DDC info claiming they are 1080p native, at least to PCs.. My V6 seemed to auto-detect mine, i went into settings to check and it had already picked 2160p ("4K") lol

Kind regards,
Lee

deans6571
Wise owl
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@chaoshusky wrote:

That would be because you're accidentally making the box have to then down-scale the signal it would seem! This would cause sync and stuttering issues if not in native 4K. This could also indicate a lower quality HDMI cable (the one provided with the box isn't the best - but don't overpay for them! Unless you're using your own cable? I do have my own good quality one) or could be due to an AV amp with HDMI switch, if you have one? Don't have an amp. I don't use the V6 box apps either, as i have my PC connected to my TV, so tend to use my browser (Firefox)!

Don't forget, the V6 box does have an analog AV/Scart output port on the back, which needs an adapter. So the box will have to use extra processing power just to scale the signal for this as well. If your video is native 4K, leave it set to 4K - the box will automatically show you 1080p content slightly up-scaled to 4K if your TV's native resolution is 4K My TV is 4K but the show on Amazon was in HD. - some TVs still send DDC info claiming they are 1080p native, at least to PCs.. My V6 seemed to auto-detect mine, i went into settings to check and it had already picked 2160p ("4K") lol

Kind regards,
Lee

...see above notes in red.

Should I therefore leave my settings to just 2160 or should I also select the Passthroughs (by having both Passthroughs selected, this is what causes the sound stutter) ?

chaoshusky
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Indeed, you assumed correctly, ignore the pass-thru option! If you have a native 4K TV you have nothing to worry about my friend, the box will do the work for you 🙂 Leave it set to 2160p! If problems persist, however, we will need to check your signal power levels as a first step, assuming you also have a broadband router?

Basically by selecting both it would seem to be causing internal conflicts and latency as you're making it do extra work it doesn't need to do! You'll also find that your TV will be able to scale images quite well if you only give it a 1080p signal. Mine can at least and its a "cheap" Toshiba model that was on special offer about 3 years ago lol doesn't even support HDR but gives a surprisingly good picture!

These days, the most 4K content you'll actually find is usually on YouTube!

Kind regards,

Lee. I hope you didn't overpay for "monster" cables! So long as the cable is of reasonable quality and meets the spec for 4K60 and there's no excessive noise present!