Menu
szymon
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Static IP for V6 box?

Hello,

The segment of network that my TiVo box is plugged into does not use DHCP.  All of my other devices there work with static IP addresses.  I don’t want to add a DHCP server for one network device.  However I cannot seem to work out how to make the V6 box connect without a DHCP server.  Is this really not possible or am I missing something obvious?

If it isn’t possible, is using the box (just for cable TV) ok without connecting it to the IP network at all?  Or does the connection have to be there?

-simon

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Static IP for V6 box?

I will tell you one thing for certain. The box will stop working if not connected to the hub, as not only will the TV guide cease to operate but it prevents the box from checking that it is authorised. You will then start losing channels & eventually the box will not boot up.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
szymon
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so it has to have a connection, but low bandwidth is ok?  Perhaps I should set up a dedicated WiFi link for it to just get those bits from then.  I don’t stream on this box (my TV and AppleTV4K do all the streaming I need, and they both work fine using static IP).

It’s kind of ridiculous for it to REQUIRE a dhcp server — no IP addressable device should be so limited!

0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Anyone know if the V360 can be set for static? If so maybe an 'upgrade' is needed.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

networks without DHCP for residential neworks are very rare. Its a lot of work for something that barely anyone will use

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
szymon
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

“A lot of work”?  DHCP is for networks where the expectation is that devices will be added and removed wily-nily.  It’s not necessary for devices which do not ever change.  It’s actually work to ADD a new dhcp server to this network (for no possible value).

I have a guest WiFi, turns out the signal is pretty strong at the box so it will work.

17E4F98D-5F3C-41AC-B039-E7FBA49DFB6C.jpeg

0 Kudos
szymon
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What’s a v360?  Will it work with my gig1 service?  How do I get one?

0 Kudos