Menu
Funky_Gibbon
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Splitter pulling cable loose after upgrade to V6 box

After an engineer upgraded our faulty Tivo box to a V6 box a splitter was fitted to the hub, the extra weight of the splitter is pulling on the cable which I have already had to tighten once. It has been ok for a few days now but I am concerned it could come loose again. I never had this problem with the old Tivo box which did not require the splitter. The engineer did explain that the V6 connected to the hub in a different way but did not tell us he had added extra equipment to the hub. I have attached a photo which shows what is now attached to the hub. My hub is upstairs and my V6 box is downstairs, they are connected using a powerline. It is the middle cable in the photo that has come loose  Any advice greatly appreciated.V6 box hub cables IMG_20200928_155406.jpg

0 Kudos
Funky_Gibbon
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Splitter pulling cable loose after upgrade to V6 box

Have I posted this in the wrong section of the help forum? It's nearly a week since I posted it and not a single reply. It hasn't come loose again yet. Any advice still greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Funky_Gibbon,

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear that you have been having trouble with the hub. Are you able to confirm if the cable connecting to the hub is screwed on? It sounds like it might be as you said you had to tighten it. If so then the tug from the splitter should not unscrew the connection, but do let us know if it happens again. 

Cheers,

Corey C

LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi you could use a small spanner, as there is quite a bit of thread on there it should stay in place, unless the thread has been damaged, I have a splitter in my setup which lays on the floor so doesn't pull on anything, could you lower your hub by any chance so that the splitter can be grounded. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Funky_Gibbon
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey C,

Thanks for replying, I can confirm that the cable is screwed on correctly. As you can see from the photo the splitter is not connected to anything else as we don't have another box upstairs. Please can you explain why it is now needed and why it has to be plugged in. The problem is it is located in the smallest bedroom in our house and it takes up a lot more space now with the splitter attached and it could easily get knocked off the desk. It can't be put on the floor as suggested in the other reply to my post as there isn't enough room. If the splitter and extra cabling is essential it will need to be moved to another room. The engineer did not give us any instructions for the V6 and we do not have a printer so are unable to print out the pdf. Please can you post us the instructions.

Thanks for your help so far

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Funky_Gibbon,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry to hear the splitter attached is causing you trouble.

Although you have advised and we can also see there is only one cable attached it is a powered splitter which also helps when your levels are out, by removing this it may cause issues with your connection.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The tech has fitted a signal amplifier as he believed that the signal was too weak. I think it would be useful if you can you post some stats. Example (for a hub 3): go to 192.168.0.1 (router mode) or 192.168.100.1 (modem mode), do not log in, click on the link "Check Router Status".
Copy and paste the Downstream, Upstream and Network Logs. Mask any public IP address.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos