Menu
charlestsa
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sound Break Up especially on Sky Film Channels

On recordings the sound often breaks up ,slow drop of syllables to start with then it gets progressively worse. Pause the recording or stop and restart sound back to normal.This is most usual on Sky Movie Channels.Has only happened on non sky film channels on the odd occasion and NEVER on any of the main TV channels 1 to 5.

The film Concrete Plans,Sky Premier HD on Tuesday 16th March at 20.00 was appaling.The film had to be paused and restarted over 30 times! Normally it's only at the most 3 times in a film.

Any ideas on what is causing this?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sound Break Up especially on Sky Film Channels

Do you have any issues when you watch the same channel live? If you're not sure, it may be worth trying. Then try pausing the channel for perhaps 30seconds, and watch "delayed"

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
charlestsa
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.Never noticed this on live TV but about 80%of viewing is with recorded programmes.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

My viewing pattern is very similar, but it would help ID what's causing this if you're able to try watching the affected channels live for a short time, and also then pause it for a minute or so.

If live TV is affected, then you could have a signal issue affecting certain frequencies - the ones that are carrying these channels.

If live TV is ok but recordings and paused programmes are affected, then you may have hard drive issues.

If it's hard drive problems, then the channel you're watching or recording from is immaterial.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
charlestsa
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi @charlestsa,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am really sorry to hear that you seem to be facing some issues with the sound quality coming from your TV services lately. Are these issues ongoing today? If so, can you check our Service Status page in the first instance to see if there are any known area impacting faults that may explain this?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
charlestsa
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I believe this to be an automated reply. The problem has not been resolved . Perhaps its the hard drive at fault,but why does pausing the recording or stopping/starting correct the issue either for the remaining part of the film or on and off to the end.

Playing back the part of the recording again where the sound falters and it's fine.

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi @charlestsa,

Is anything being reported on the Service Status page about this at the moment? If so, can you confirm what is being reported there?

Would you also mind confirming the model of TV box that you have, please?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I appreciate you've posted in the TiVo board, but can you confirm this is the box you have, by checking here 

If your hard drive is the cause of the issue here, then all content using said HDD will be problematic to some degree. Recorded programmes, anytime you pause or rewind on live TV - these use the hard drive.

Live viewing & OnDemand would be unaffected.

0 Kudos
charlestsa
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Unless there is a way of identifying if there was no issue on a particular channel  at a certain time which would cause the issue described then seeing what the live signal today is will be pointless.

The box is a V6

0 Kudos