Menu
jabintendo
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sonos beam beeps for dolby digital

I  have my beam connected to HDMI ARC and then the v6 and Firestick to the other HDMI ports.

When using the cable box, every time i change channels from SD to HD and the sound switches to dolby digital, the sonos beeps for a second.This does not happen when i select PCM sound only from the v6, but obviously the sound is not as good.

The fire stick has no issues and my son tv supports Dolby™ Digital,Dolby™ Digital Plus,Dolby™ Pulse.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Superstar
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sonos beam beeps for dolby digital

This is a sound being produced by your tv. Most common issue is with Panasonic tvs but some other models do it too.

It occurs when an HDMI connected device switches between PCM and Dolby audio - and cause the tv to emit a high pitch beep during the changeover at a point there is actually no audio.

Sky boxes as well as VM boxes do it - and there is NO direct fix.

You can avoid it if you route the audio from your V6 direct to the soundbar.

The big issue is that both the tv companies and the set-top-box companies blame each other and have done for a couple of years now.

It may be possible for the chip in the set-top-boxes to be updated and it may be possible for the tv chip to be updated - but nobody is willing to do this.

@jabintendo wrote:

I  have my beam connected to HDMI ARC and then the v6 and Firestick to the other HDMI ports.

When using the cable box, every time i change channels from SD to HD and the sound switches to dolby digital, the sonos beeps for a second.This does not happen when i select PCM sound only from the v6, but obviously the sound is not as good.

The fire stick has no issues and my son tv supports Dolby™ Digital,Dolby™ Digital Plus,Dolby™ Pulse.

==================================
1.2Gb/55Mb in Area 31
0 Kudos
jabintendo
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

But why doesn't this happen when watching content from the firestick or playstation.

It is only from the V6 box this happens? That is why i didn't think it was originally anything to do with the tv.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Superstar
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Because they use different chips.   My Panasonic does it - but only with VirginMedia and Sky kit.  Plug in devices are fine.

I route everything through an a/v amp now which stopped me hearing the issue.

THere are quite a few threads on the VirginMedia and Sky forums about this issue.

==================================
1.2Gb/55Mb in Area 31
0 Kudos