Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Some On Demand have sound but no picture

For some reason when trying to watch 'Hoarders' On Demand (don't ask)...I get sound but just black screen.

Just put in new HDMI cables (         HDMI Cable 4k, Mrocioa HDMI Cable with Premium Certified 6 feet 1.8M 18Gbps high speed supp...) as some other posts seem to suggest but still getting the same issue.

V6 box wired direct to hub via ethernet, and straight to 4k Sony Bravia via the new HDMI cables.

Also also get the same issue putting HDMI through Xbox One S (Amazon Prime with sound but no picture but I believe Xbox doesn't do 4K passthrough)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Some On Demand have sound but no picture

Hi hibeeboy,

I just checked mine and series 1 and series 2 when using seacrh were showing a black screen and no sound.

Series 10 is working fine under Boxsets >All   however there is no sign of series 1 or 2 in that section

I've tried a few other programs using search and all worked ok, so it looks like it's either a problem with Virgin, or they no longer have the rights to seasons 1 and 2 and the links haven't been removed yet.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

From the looks, S1 & S2 aren't boxsets but are shortcuts to Amazon Prime content, S10 is a boxset and plays fine for me.

Which begs the question, I assume @hibeeboy has an Amazon Prime subscription, do other programs on there play ok? I don't have Prime so can't test this without starting a 30day trial.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the responses.

I do have an Amazon Prime subscription.  And it is only S10 of Hoarders I have tried, will try it boxset route instead.

Weirdly with Amazon Prime I get the same black screen issue trying to watch The Walking Dead.

That lead me to try going through the Xbox One (Virgin--->Xbox--->TV) but get just sound black screen that way.

Obviously Amazon Prime app on both my TV & Xbox work fine and can watch The Walking Dead no problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So I checked this last night going through Box Set--->All--->Hoarders...found Season 10 only but still the same no picture issue (on 4K TV).

I then checked it on my bedroom (HD) TV and Virgin box and it worked fine so that would suggest it is an issue with 4K TV only?

As I mentioned I am unable to watch some Amazon Prime content (through the Prime app on Virgin box) getting the same 'sound but no picture' issue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi hibeeboy, sorry for the delayed reply here. 

Checking this today I was able to get Hoarders s10 to play via Lifetime on a v6 box/4K TV without issue - so I'm hoping this has been fixed since? Please keep us posted.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom

Thanks for the reply.

No it is not resolved, I am finding more and more programmes with the same issue.  I even get it sometimes on BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime.

I checked that all different viewing aspects are ticked in the video output section in settings but still no joy.  There are no special setting enabled on the tv either.

Pretty annoying, all the programmes work on the 1080p tv in the bedroom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Possibly unrelated but recently the sound outputs massively different on some channels.

Need to have TV and sound bar up full volume on some channels, once I switch to another channel sound is as it should be (incredibly loud)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the additional info. I'm still not able to replicate this, it could possibly be a faulty box, or some kind of compatibility issue - can I check that the V6 is connected directly to the TV via HDMI and not via other equipment? If not can you please give that a try to see if it makes any difference? 

If not, please send me a PM and we'll go through further diagnostics and arrange a box-swap if needed.

Tom 

0 Kudos