Menu
Cad21
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Software update - when?

So apparently, as an existing customer I don't qualify for a 360 box, which is nice. My new deal is also more expensive than new customer deals which again is nice. 

Anyway to my question.

During a conversation with a sales rep, he reckons that the V6 will be getting a software update in the next two weeks to match that of the new 360 box.

He also said that when this happens the Disney+ app will be available.

Can anyone confirm if the above is true or just a way of getting me to sign up to a new deal?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Software update - when?

All V6 boxes will eventually be upgraded to the 360 firmware, I don't know of a timeline 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Cad21
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that.

I suspect the timeline given was a bit of a placatory comment then from the sales rep rather than giving an honest answer.

Does anyone know if Disney+ will be available on the next update at all?

Thanks

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin will put it up on their website if and when this happens, I have not heard anything about this but your guess is as good as mine if this happens 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

In addition to the answers you've already been given, VM are masters at not announcing new apps & channel launches until those services are live and running.

This can sometimes be a choice on their part to not pre-announce things, other times it can be a commercial or legal thing - in other words, their carriage agreements don't allow them to. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Disney+ appears one morning, but that only VM staff who "need to know", do.

As for the V6 getting a software update to match the V360, in time that will happen - but that's certainly not anytime in the next few weeks! Doubt months, either. And I'd question whether a V6 > V360 change is an upgrade at the moment - at best it's different.

0 Kudos
SpacePhoenix
Superfast
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When does Virgin's rights/license to use the TiVo software expire? That'll probably dictate when all V6s boxes get forcibly upgraded to he 360 software. Before they push it out en-mass they need to ensure that any existing recordings aren't lost (AFAIK currently any recordings are lost when someone moves over to the 360 software)

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I would totally agree that the urgency of the V360 rollout will be heavily driven by VM's ability to use TiVo software.

But that's not something that either TiVo or VM make public. The agreement was last renewed in 2017, anything more than that falls under commercial sensitivity.

I suspect, as with any box-swap currently, recordings will still be lost.

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Well-informed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

I suspect, as with any box-swap currently, recordings will still be lost.

You would hope that an upcoming phase of testing will be performing V6 to 360 migrations with recordings and series links in place (suspect this will be a further update to the software). If they upgrade customers to 360 VM are going to be a laughing stock (especially with other TV providers) as it's bound to be national news if all VM customers lose their recordings and settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: Ultimate Oomph bundle
Equipment: 3 x V6, Super Hub 3
0 Kudos