cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slightly odd Internet connection issue

AliN1
Joining in

We have three V6 boxes and one TiVo and three out of the four are working fine. One was being a bit temperamental so I tried doing a restart on it and when it rebooted it had dropped its internet connection - coming up with a C230 error. I reconnected the wifi connection and on the network page (on the right hand side) it shows the right wifi network, a good signal strength (70% and above) and shows the IP address and MAC ID, but on the left says no internet connection and ‘last attempt failed’. When I go back to the home page it still shows the C230 error. I’m unsure how it would give me all the right details of the connection (including a varying signal strength) if it’s not connected? Anyway it won’t connect and we still have flashing arrows on the front of the V6 box. 
We’ve tried the usual stuff - rebooting the hub / restarting the V6 / checking all the wires / re-entering the wifi password - all to no avail. 
Tried contacting Virgin CS who didn’t seem to have a clue and suggested a signal booster, though I told them there wasn’t an issue with the signal - all other devices roundabout work fine and the V6 has worked fine until now (it’s been there several years). After 45 minutes on the phone all they could suggest was a 24 internet check to see if it’s dropping its connection, after which ‘it will all get sorted out’ - but as all other V6 / TiVo boxes and all other wifi devices in the house work fine I can’t see why one box would just stop connecting and frankly I’m a bit unconvinced they had any clue what was going on. 
has anyone got any ideas what the issue could be and what I could do about it? As it is I’ve a box I can’t use and no one seems able to help. 

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

First off, the TiVo has its own inbuilt 'net connection and doesn't use your home broadband - so exclude that from your diagnosis, I presume the one with issues is a V6.

Does the MAC address presented on the V6 match with that allocated in your router?

A loss of internet connection should not prevent live TV or recordings in the meantime - only affect VoD & EPG updates.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the delay getting back to you - I did mention that the issue was with one of the V6 boxes in my original post, I included the fact we had the TiVo box to fully describe the system set up in case it was helpful. 
The MAC address was correct, and I realise the box would still work in a basic sense, however, my point was that it he box could not be used properly for the purpose it was intended, and as such it needed sorting, and frankly customer support were less than useless. They said they’d run a 24 hour connection test and get back to me with the results and I haven’t heard squat from them since. In the end I couldn’t face another hour on the phone to customer service who clearly didn’t have a clue what they were talking about asking me had I restarted my router over and over again, so I re-jigged all the wiring and ran a wired connection to the box rather than connecting it via wifi.
Really disappointing service from Virgin. ☹️

SpacePhoenix
Fibre optic

Does the hub see the V6 box (show as a connected device)?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As per my previous post...Does the MAC address presented on the V6 match with that allocated in your router?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks