Menu
Emckinnon6560
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sky cinema Sd recorded content lost

Noticed last night that many of the movies that I had recorded from sky cinema would not play. Returns the comment e.g. NO LONGER AVAILABLE "We're sorry,  but this recording can't be viewed because Sky Animation is no longer available from Virgin Media "

Initially thought this was odd, as the channel is still available., and recent recordings still play. Then figured out that it appears to be only recordings made from the SD sky cinema channels that appear to no longer available. 

Again thought this was odd as the SD version of the channel has been unavailable for some time, but I have been able to access my SD recordings on the box. Checked my tivo box in the bedroom,  and this is the same. 

Can't see any other comments on the Internet regarding this issue.  Has it affected everyone or is it just me!!

This is really annoying,  as I normally recording in SD to save disk space. ( 1TB doesn't go too far) so looks like I have lost access to about 70% of my disk content because of this. No warning that this was happening. 

• So is everyone affected by this ?? 🤨
0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky cinema Sd recorded content lost

This will affect anyone in your situation.

Recordings from a discontinued channel have a limited access time, I believe, a year.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Indeed so @Ernie_C - the timescale can vary, I've known it 3months, 6months & a year, but the principle is the same regardless.

And without starting too much of a history lesson, a little bit of searching around suggests Sky Cinema has been HD-only since late 2016. Exact dates may vary but it sounds about right.

Keeping recordings since then (and not noticing them being expired) is going some!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Don't quote me as I'm probably wrong but I thought the Sky Cinema SD channels were removed from VM around the end of July or the beginning of August 2019

Sky Cinema Animation had previously been a pop up channel like Star Wars, Harry Potter etc until it was given a full time channel around July/August last year in preparation for Sky Cinema Disney closing in the UK on December 31st 

VM & Sky boxes are designed for linear viewing, time shifting and catch up, but not for archiving of programmes.

Unfortunately if we want to keep a programme forever then we need to purchase a Digital copy, DVD, Blu-ray etc

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
0 Kudos
Emckinnon6560
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yep, had watched one of these recordings on Thursday of last week,  and discovered the issue last night. So this has happened very recently.  What I find very annoying is that VM give you no warning that this is going to happen,  and any explanation as to why it is Happening. very poor customer communication,  which I'm sad to say is very typical of VM. 

Disappointing, not great for customer retention I would think...☹☹

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As has already been suggested, VM's TV boxes are intended for timeshift viewing not long-term archiving.

The vast majority of the time, recordings have no expiry - but this can sometimes happen if channels are removed.

0 Kudos
Rachelle36
Just joined
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So i just bought a go pro and took it on vacation in Hawaii. Some of my videos didn't save to the SD card. I have the videos before and after but there is missing links in my recording history. Any help would be appreciated.

Kroger Schedule

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I guess you googled SD content lost, but an SD (secure digital) card is different from SD (standard definition)  content on a TV channel

This is a forum for virgin media TV and broadband users